Alternative option for Avion AV3 + Roland Microcube ??

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by harmonizer, Apr 14, 2011.

1. harmonizer

harmonizer The Son of the Moon

I was about to buy Greg Bennett + Roland Microcube
    but recently my lead guitarist bought it and i'm planning to buy a diff gig..

I've heard good things about Yamaha Pacifica
    I don't know much abt prices and qualities of Pacifica series

can anybody help me with this? u can also suggest some other good brands for beginners.

what abt amp?? i dont need another roland in my band..

budget - 25k (guitar+amp)

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Roland microcube is not the best bet coz of its low power...and just coz ur friend bought a GB AV3 it doesn't mean u cant buy one too... anyways yamaha pacifica is a very decent guitar... pac 112 shud be some 15k... get a roland 15X or 30X depending budget with the pac...

3. harmonizer

I respect ur advise brother, after googling whole day I found yamaha pacifica as my perfect mate mate...

i'm still confused abt the amp. wat abt marshall amp in this range?

and, can u tell me some more combos which can be good for a despo beginner like me. i wont mind if the budgets goes upto 30k max.....

btw our genre is progressive rock/metal.....ummm we r beginners :p

:)

4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

IMO.. Marshalls will not be good enuf for this budget.. Roland is good...also i'll not suggest you a tube amp unless you're ready for 20-25k for amp alone.. for guitar pac is the best bet..

5. harmonizer

u r right brother ! i felt the same thing when i looked around....and ur words made them stronger.....i'll follow u for sure....

but 1 more confusion.....i dont know what model of pacifica wud be best 012, 112V or 112J ??

may be ur experience cud help

6. flood

flood New Member

@harmonizer: your signature is the most hilariously ironic thing i've ever seen. lol!

7. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

112V or 112J... Also you don't need to follow me.. i'm no pro... Do some research urself too and take ur time before making any decision.. All The Best !

8. harmonizer

@ricky...........i'll do some research for sure. ;) but i respect seniors too

@flood.....m so very glad

9. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

Lulz

AV3 is the best for its price range... Pacifica is a decent alternative. You can also look at other Greg Bennett offerings...

Telecaster - Formula FA2
    SG - Torino TR3
    Strat - Malibu MB50

All three come with Duncan Design pickups... I really enjoyed the FA2 myself, when I went to try it... If you want a Tele you might want to check it out. And a steal at 16k...

10. bcrich

bcrich New Member

Schecter Omen 6 + Fender Frontman 25R/Peavey Vypyr 15/Vox Pathfinder.

11. wylder

wylder Member

Here's an alternative..
    Boss Metal Zone (~Rs.4500)/ DS-1(~2500) - Metal Zone if you play hard rock and outright metal, DS-1 distortion if you play rock and heavy blues.
    Cheap Delay (~Rs.2000)
    Stranger Amp (~Rs.5000)
    The best part about this set up is that when you have the cash later on, you can upgrade part by part, leaving the rest of your rig still usable. I can assure you that this setup will sound as good (if not better) than the inbuilt processor in the amp. And you could check for ads for anyone selling used analog pedals if you want to get these cheaper. These things are built to survive a nuclear attack so it is really difficult to damage them by regular use.

12. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

^Which cheap delay are you referring For 2k ...??...is it beta aivin?

13. wylder

wylder Member

Beta Aivin is fine for beginners, or a behringer if you can find one... You could also look for a used boss DD-3 if you can stretch the delay budget a bit.

14. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

How is the beta aivin delay? I think you use one.. is it worth the price?

15. wylder

wylder Member

Definitely worth the price as it is dirt cheap for a delay. It is a good pedal if all you want is a basic delay for adding space/dimension to your sound. It has a single setting of basic digital delay with delay length upto 800 ms (which is more than sufficient for its use).
    I plan to get a better delay soon that has more features. But i guess this delay could still find use in my board if I need to do the Joe Sat delay thing where he emulates a reverb using a long delay going into a shorter one or the John Petrucci setup where the right and left amps have different delay times.

16. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

^Ok fine.. You play for some band in Bangalore?

17. wylder

wylder Member

I've recently moved to Bangalore. I'm looking for a band out here.. Used to play in a band in Mysore.

18. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Ok.. Thats cool ! ...

19. harmonizer

hey wylder bro.....can i find these gears easily in mumbai??? or i have to search here n there? sorry i've heard these for the 1st time as m a beginner

20. wylder

wylder Member