$-aLL aB0ut stRummIng

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by nik_bokacheley, Feb 27, 2005.

1. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

Hey all, why not a thread on strumming patterns!!

What we all need is a few strumming patterns which enhances the song we play. Like for hotel california there is a differnt strumming pattern. And for all songs there are different strumming styles.

Okay I'm a newbie. I dont know much about strumming styles. I know 2-3 strumming styles only.

Okay you guys can try out this->

||-D-DU-DU-|-D-DU-DU-||

RHYTHM-> ||-JHIn-CHAKA-CHAKA-Jhin-CHAKA-CHaKA-||-continues....

D= stroke the plactrum downwards once.
    U= stroke the plactrum Upwards once.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So this was all for today!

Hey Plz someone take up the charge of this thread and post a few more strumming patterns. Plz.. And if posible plz mention the song too!! :cool:
    :please:

2. jusmail

jusmail New Member

That rhythm seems to be a waltz rhythm. There are a couple of tutorials on the guitar lessons, tips. Maybe you might wish to work on those.

I am also working on one tutorial. Will present it shortly.

3. vini

vini Repeat Offender

try dis..
    chord sequence>| D | A | D | A |D | G | D | A |

STRUMMING PATTERN>> th|th|st|th continue..
    th=thumb
    st=strum
    while strumming strum only bottom 3 strings wid ur index finger

Chords which i gave r just an example..dis can be played in any chords... but only wid relation ofcourse..buddhu!
    im a guitar novice..so i've shared my li'l but precious knowledge!! :)

4. nik_bokacheley

oppPPss! I didn't understand that VINI. What am I supposed to do?? Okay tell me if I'm right.

First I am to hold a chord. For eg. D major! And then what?? How am I supposed to use my thumb?? Help me with this. And Does strumming mean something else rather than the RHYTHM?? I too am a novice. I don't know much. So no probs if you call me a buddhu. Anyway thanks a lot.

Hey jusmail, it would be very kind of you if you kindly post some useful tips and tricks.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theguitaristofm likes this.
  5. Liquid

Liquid New Member

this thread is goin nicely :)...

i asked my guitar teacher about like the basics of strumming and all...and hes just like...start with this song ( i tried to start with addat...and i was like....gimme somethin a bit easier).

anyways....PAPA KEHTE HAIN FROM QAYAMAT SE QAYAMAT TAK..

pattern: D DU DUD | D DU DUD

sounds really nice....heres the chords...C Am F G ( this is just the intro...its good enough lol )

wow...this is the first like "real advice" that ive given...im usually giving questions lol..

can anyone add more songs like ive done plz plz plz

6. nik_bokacheley

Hey thanks LIQUID!! I'll try that out.. Nice going.. I request the GURUs to make a few more posts along with the songs..
    Take care!!

Try this out.. not sure which song!!

D DU UDU || D DU UDU ||

bye!!

7. Liquid

Liquid New Member

ooops....thats the pattern i actually meant...:S....typo...

8. nik_bokacheley

hmmMM.. why aren't the gurus help kids!!(I'm that)LOL... I request few gurus to help!!
    It's okay LIQUID.. And do post if you learn any new song!!..LOL..typo:p

9. vini

vini Repeat Offender

@NIK
    by thumb(th) i meant firstly strumming all d strings wid ur thumb then wid ur index finger.. d thumbing wud sound mild but index finger strumming wud sound sharp..so here goes wid d chords i told> d:a:d:a:d:g:d:a
    th|th|st|th

hope it made sense :p dont worry wid passage of time uL learn everything dats wot i convince myself wid..dont get confused wid many tutors..u shud get a teacher..or stick to only 2 tutorial website.. i find > www.cyberfret.com pretty decent.. u may try it!!

bYE!

10. a nice try nik

@liquid u can shoot him ur querries lolz

11. nik_bokacheley

umm.. lolz.. i don't play my guitar with my fingers..I use a plactrum instead.. I 've an acoustic guitar.. And i'll soon get a teacher after my board exams are over..
    And then bhuhaha.. I have learnt for 4-5 months only..

12. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

UDUDUDUDUDUUDUDUD
    its all abt Reflex.....and pratice and patience

13. Liquid

Liquid New Member

yea but in order to practoce...u have to know how to do atleast one song correctly....so u have a base to build on...

anyways....suggest more songs guys....plz

14. nik_bokacheley

Another tip!!

You can make up your own strumming styles.. Just do one thing listen to a song while you are strumming your guitar.. Try and imagine the tune.. And move your hands in such a fashion that suits the tune.. You don't have to copy the actual tune of the song. But atleast try to sound cool with that song.. And now practice it till you are good at it.. Now you can tell that you have your own style of strumming..

Points to keep in mind-> the rhythm should be continued in a similar fashion.. Not anything and everything is allowed..
    :rock on:

15. nadish

nadish Active Member

I'm learning strumming but right now, I dont know much abt strumming...

16. nik_bokacheley

nadish.. strumming is how you move your hands and strike the strings.. Like if you say, you strum you the strings downwards once.. it will probably sound like JHING and the next time if you strum it upwards it will sound like CHAK... SO that is it..

Hmm I'm talking about those spanish guitars where you play the guitar either with a playtrum or your fingers..

The rhythm depends on the strumming!! LIke JHINg CHAKA CHAKA JHIN.. and the like..
    God bless!

17. vini

vini Repeat Offender

@ nik
    woohoo.. if only things were so easy..but anyways.. worth a try!
    :)

18. nik_bokacheley

Don't worry bro i too am a novice.. just practise. and you'll learn the things automatically.. this is what the world says and not me alone..
    By the By, i feel strumming is what makes you good and perfect so learn it like hell and play it like heaven..lolz!!

19. darkblade

darkblade New Member

hey can anybody help me out with the strumming pattern of addat?

20. nik_bokacheley

What's addat?? What song is it and who sung it?? If you email me the song i might work on the strumming patterns......