Alienation of North East part of India

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by rasika, May 8, 2006.

1. rasika

rasika New Member

I want to raise a totally diff issue here. no idea how u'll respond to this.. but i'll just give it a try...
    Last summer I went to North East part of India for a study & friendship tour.( i.e. Arunachal, assam, manipur, meghalaya, mizoram , tripura, nagaland. MANY OF US DUNNO ALL THESE STATES R PART OF INDIA!!) ne ways I visited asam, mizoram & tripura
    & was terrified seein da situation there..
    this places r connected to rest INdia by just 74 km siligudi road. & its surrounded by bangladesh, china, nepal, bhutan etc. this explains its international inmportance. many people r being converted by missionaries ( 95% in mizoram) though they dont want to.. & hence their own culture is being ruined .. terrorisom & insurgency becoming serious problems (mainly by bangladesh).. povrty , unemployment r regular problems... also problems like AIDS , drug addiction is rising drastically...
    On da top of that main problem is that many of north east indians dont know that they r INdians.. they look like chineese & they r raised up in western culture so they r confused what their indentity is!!
    similarly v know nothin abt wats goin on in that part... if theres no connection btwn north east & rest india da day is no longer whaen we will loose dat part...
    hence communication btwn these 2 pats is very very essential.. there's so much more to tell...
    only if u r interested.. plz re:

jamhead likes this.
  2. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

i dunno much bout the state over der..im more concerned bout how to get this fcked up govt we hav here who is corrupt to the hilt out of the way and get some really dedicated politicians into the seat of power...mind u..im only 14...so i dunno much bout how things work..but from wat i understand in assam...there r marxists over der rnt they???
    plus can aneone giv me the name of marxist parties in india??

3. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

LMAO..........

4. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

wen will u drop the marxism??
    it will NEVER work in India>>
    said that before in the other thread .

5. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

its well known that these places suffer frm negligence .. sometime back ppl of one of these states protested against the media not covering any news from their states ..
    so the general sense of aloofness is there .. but i dont agree that there are 'many' who dont know that these states are part of India ..

surely, the powers that be need to try and integrate these states more into the mainstream

6. rasika

rasika New Member

^^ thanx 4 positive response!!!
    actually i've met people who dont believe they r indians..
    also, wen i went on chatroom naga site & told that i am from mumbai they kept askin y r u here? u r from india this is naga site.. y r u here...
    ne ways v can try to minimize this distance with wat we can do..
    v can visit websites like..
    https://www.e-pao.net
    https://mumbaimizo.org/
    or https://www.youthim.net

7. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

dude any govt is just as good as its ppl .. better change ourselves than point fingers at the govt as if it were some foreign organiztion ..

oh ya the ppl of couple of these states themselves dont acknowledge that they are part of India .. which is pretty dangerous ..
    its really strange that the govt hasnt done anything in this regard (atleast it seems so)

8. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

man i no ur right....dats y im tryin to find ways to take active participation in things like these...unlike a wannabe in my class who after watchin rdb thinks dat if he just copies the dialogues he can become like them(the characters)...any ideas on how a 14 yr old kid can make a diff to the nation???
    @ujsen...no harm in trying is der?

9. zing

zing Machine Head

the only thing tht will help is to accept & treat the peoples of NE as your bros & sis - not as aliens - u must ask why a naturally shy peaceloving ppl turn aggressive & violent - the carving of states post independence was considered arbitrary by locals - but it would not have mattered much if ANY govts had done something good - ANYTHING good - for the ppl in goddamn 50 years - u have to punish each & evry corrupt politician bastard who exploit the regions resources & misuse the funds meant for development b4 u can hav any meaningful conversation abt this

10. zing

zing Machine Head

it dont matter wht "ism" is there - this-sim or that-ism - wot u need is honest ppl who jus do their bloody job - not fat ass babus & their crooked "chamchas" in armed forces, police, media, films, municipalities & construction

11. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

with assam the reason is clear cut. assam produces 90% of india's oil and yet the 2 biggest indian companies - indian oil and ONGC are headquartered in delhi and derhadun respectively and not in assam. for all indian psu's the head office in the place that areally makes the psu happen and the maximum employment is also given to people of that state. plus the way nehru dumped the assamese after lagao-ing the china war was a blunder only a jackass like nehru coult commit. with the other NE states, its because of geopraphical isolation and cultural difference.

places like nagaland never really belonged to india - the brits annexed it to raj india after wresting it from the burmese and and the local naga population. when they left, nagaland fell into indian hands and ever since new delhi has done precious little to reach out.

tripura actually always belonged to united bengal but now wallows on the other side of bangladesh. the local people of tripura are not mongoloid.

with manipur and meghalays, india has had ties with them since mahabharat days. the manupuri dance is based on opne of the chapters of the mahabharat. the very name meghalaya = megh + alaya = abode of clouds, in sanskrit.

i do not know much about mizoram and arunachal or their history.

12. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&*$@*^$

There are two aspects to it. One people who really dont know they are part of India and the people who knows but dont like to call themselves as Indian. There are many reasons for this and to examine it all is a big task. The negligence and ignorance of NE by the rest of India is one of the reason. Imagine my shock when one guy in Bangalore (after knowing I m from Assam) asked me if Assam Rifles is a terrorist group?? But he very well knows about Madras Sappers, Gorkha Regiment and all. This is not a one off incident, Once in Delhi for my cousins admission in a college there, one of the clerk asked which state this place Assam is in?? And there are many more incidents like this which if you face yourself you will know how you feel. Leave alone the ignorance part, the attitude that some people show towards NE and its people is enough to make you feel that you are not at all welcome to be a part of India. They make you feel that you are a burden on the rest of India.

Like jammy said, the nehru blunder during the china war, has left an unerasable impression on the people of Assam, I was not even born that time, but the wound he caused to people of Assam is so alive today that even I feel it.

Its not like people here likes violence, but yet its a terrorism affected state. Why? Its the negligence and exploitation of years that led to the current situation here. Assam has the richest oil resource in the country, but yet we had to fight to get more oil refineries here, (Apart from the Digboi refinery, made by the British which is one of Worlds oldest refienry). Assam's oil is pipelined to refienries in other states, instead of building a new refinery here in Assam which could create more jobs. And the royalty Assam get for its oil is to say the least ...is a pity. Assam is the largest producer of tea, but till a few years back Assam's tea had to be auctioned in Kolkata, it took many years of struggle to get Assam its own tea auction centre in guwahati. These are just two example of the discrimination by the central govt. towards Assam, the list is however endless.And almost the same story with other NE states.

These are the facts that contibute to the fact that people in NE doesnt want to be or doesnt feel like they are Indian. Cuz they have always felt unwanted by the rest of India.

Corrupt politicians are another reasons. The local state govt. has never done anything to raise the issues with Centre, never tried to get something done in Assams favour. Its the people who tried to make a difference, struggles like to get more refineries, to get annother bridge on the river Brahmaputra, to get an IIT, well everything is done by the people here not by the corrupt govt. The previous AGP govt. came to power riding on the wave of student revolution, and all it did after that was to fill their own pockets.

@ rasika
    I was a bit surprised to see this thread here in IGT, after years of odd experiences, I came to the conclusion that people in rest of India doesnt care about NE. Thanx for letting me know there are some exceptions.

13. apurbajd

apurbajd ~#$&*$@*^$

marxism died ages ago in Assam. but to qoute Zing "it dont matter wht "ism" is there - wot u need is honest ppl who jus do their bloody job"

14. aeg0

aeg0 Guitarıng Alchemist

we have a north-east part ?

death_metal_fan likes this.
  15. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

^^^^lmfao
    but back to the subject...cud sum1 tell me wat mistake nehru made during the war...coz there is another problem with ncert...last yr we were doing foriegn relations in class and the book only mentioned mistakes made by other countries and not the mistakes made by india....i mean we r always taught to learn from our mistakes rnt we??

16. rasika

rasika New Member

^^ one of Nehru's mistake wud b..
    In 1962 china war, there wasnt sufficient supply of soldiers & weapons etc etc. wen army asked for it... wat nehru gave was.." My HEART GOES WITH THE PEOPLE OF ASSAM!!!"

neways thank u all people for respondin to this topic & hence encouragin me..
    also, wat i feel is v r done talkin things like goverment & system is useless. i guess its our turn to do somthin good..

17. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

lmao@ncert !!

no wonder indians grow up thinking that they are the nicest, smartest people in the world and then get a rude shock.

nehru basically lagao-ed the china war. and within days of china's attack went to usa to beg for aid. so much for non-alignment. he promised the assamese people that he would defend them in the case of an attack from china - but pulled out troops leaving assam to the mercy of the chinese. we are lucky china didnt annex assam's oil fields then and there.

the problem is that ncert and most of our education system is in the hands of nehruvians and the chamchas of the nehru-gandhi family. hence the last thing they will do is highlight nehru's blunders.

18. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

well if india lives off assam's ass and assam's oil, then i guess its fair to say that the rest of india is a burden that assam has been carrying quite successfully for 60 years now. but for oil from assam it would have been 100 rupees to the dolar already.

left to its own, assam could have been as rich as the gulf countries just by virtue of its oil wealth and tea (a cash crop).

but delhi has been systematically bleeding assam dry. no wonder the separatists bleed the indian army dry in assam.

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Umm well, that might have been the case during Independance.
    Currently all the oil fields of Assam are DUDs. They are being run solely to sustain employment in that State.

Bombay High and Ravva (Krishan-Godavari Basin) produce almost all of the country's crude oil.
    Some is being mined from Gujarat too, but that one is too acidic and is practically useless unless you use high quality stainless steel equipment.

+ you are absolutely correct about the places never actaully belonging to India.

Anyway, history has proved that British muthafookers created almost all the existing problems in their colonies.
    Best example: creation of Israel.

20. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

creation of israel is the one good thing the poms ever did.

and no oil field runs for ever. not even arab oil will last. but i highly doubt that bopmbay high and godavari basin produces all the oil in india. can you back your claims with statistics.