Alberto's Guitar Shop in Malad Mumbai

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by abhijitnath, Aug 11, 2005.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Hi everyone..even though thsi is the first time I'm posting I've been reading the site for a while and have been really impressed.
    I'm left handed and so need to want to get a custom guitar built..I've owned a Tansen with Floyd Rose, 24 frest etc before and it's tuning instability and poor pickups have soured my view of Indian-made guitars.
    However, I recently went to Alberto's in Malad and was impressed with some of the electrics and all of the acoustics I saw there.
    I wanted to get PRS style guitar with a carved flame maple top, rosewood neck, ebony FB and mahogany body with Schaller locking tuners made. I'll add 2 Seymour Duncan or Swineshead Covered pickups direct mounted, a LR Baggs piezo T-O-M bridge and the RMC synth system added. He's quoting 12k for the work including the tuners but without the maple (which will cost around 7 k imported) and wiht pups etc the cost will almost reach 45 k. Is it worth it? As in is he good enough to be able to build all this without screwing up? I'm talking about build quality and the ability to connect complex pickup systems of this order here. Is there anyone who has got something made from him and would be able to tell me whether he is very good? I don't mind spending the money but I want something that is built to world class standards.

2. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

dude trust him .. he makes some really lovely sounding guitars.. my friend has one made by him and it sounds awesome . the finish on that guitar was a little plain tho . no fancy stuff. btu yeah quality wise its perfect. if u have someone who knows him and go along with him then albertos might give u one of his masterpieces otherwise u get what everyone gets .. and those are good too

3. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

woah!! thats one hell ofa config!! y dyu want sd pups + piezo + midi controller on board ur gutiar - thats just overkill - well actrually its ur choice and ur money... ive neer heard of alvertos - but well - u arent ging to get any guitar like ur requirement off the shelf..

btw did u put an origianl floyd rose on ur tansen - if so - its not possible that u have tuning instability.. even licneced fr bridges hold tuneings for months at normal use.. world class guitars and india usually dontgo hand in hand...if udont mindspending -my suggestion is go for an rg prestige with a double edge pro bridge (that has a piezo system in built) and then add a midi controller through a seperate output...

4. deathdr_87

sorry forgot to emntion -the rg prestige is japanses built - top notch construction!!! really worth it... jsut have a look at the rg with the double edge pro brdige (i dont remeber the model number) go to www.ibanez.com and look for it in the rg prestige section.

5. abhijitnath

Thanks everyone who replied.
    Is there anyone who does know him really well and would come along with me:)? He seemed friendly enough and ready t make a high end product when I went.
    ABout the Tansen- yeah it was a Jackson licensed Floyd...but it refused to stay in tune to concert pitch after the first year..Iplay it on Eb now to keep somewhat in tune..maybe the springs have gotten too loose.
    I'm not in the mood for a shred-heavy guitar any more..more classy PRS style is what I'm leaning towards...getting old I guess. And its hellishlly difficult to get a well made left handed guitar anyways.
    About the synth/piezo/mag mix..Zion Guitars, Brian Moore, Godin and Ulrich Teuffel all make it..but they're all way too expensive and they don't make leftys either:-(
    Oh well...if anyone is willing to tag alng with me please tell me fast:)..planning to revisit on Saturday...couldnt go for a couple of weeks becuase of the rain

6. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Have you considered the Variax? I have heard good things about Albertos but you're talking about $1000.....death should I sell him my S Custom? hahaha!!!

7. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

alberto's like to bargain, you can get the prices down. I bought both my guitars from him quite a long back. He makes some nice customs guitars and also imports guitars if needed.

8. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

heard he imports stuff from south east countries...?? is it true?

9. deathdr_87

blackmamba - no way r u selling that s series -i absolutely love that guitar... its too good!!!

best of luck abhijit - hope u get wat u want.

10. abhijitnath

I was actually thinking about the Variax but the actual guitar are horrendously unplayable...like a cross between a Givson and a Samick...to do the transplant into another guitar body would turn out really expensive too..there are some drool-inducing ones done by this guy at guitaristjeffmiller.com.

11. Shredder

Shredder New Member

Hi abhijit... you can totally trust this guy.... i have ordered a custom made LP copy with EMG81/85 Pickups... the rains have screwed the delivery date but hope to get it soon...
    i have seen some of the guitars he has made...totally awesome... finishing is simple..but tone and intonation will be perfect....
    theres this guitar teacher in bombay called bismarck... he regularly gets guitars from Alberto's...i have seen one fender telecaster made for bismarck..... simply awesome...

@blackmamba.. how you doing.... did you get that neck replacement for your ibanez you were talking about...

12. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

@shredder - Not yet buddy. I am in Mumbai next week will make a visit to see Dias and see what he can do for me....when's your guitar's ETA?

13. Shredder

Shredder New Member

i think it will be september mid .... cant wait actually... the wait has been too long... have to speak to dias about the status actually...

14. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

@shredder - send me his number if possible - blackmambavenom @ g mai l dot c om

15. abhijitnath

Hey..was yours the Zakk Wylde copy thing he had in his shop? It was really awesome!! Cool idea to do the bullseye with wood instead of paint
    BTW where did you get the pickups from?

16. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Hey Incase any one is interested in 81 / 85 pls call Ashish at SB Music he is got them in stock ... He is Is Also gor Dimarizo Evolution Nick & Bridge pick ups

Ninad

17. Shredder

Shredder New Member

Hi abhijit... nah its not mine :)... he just keeps it in his shop as a template ..
    actually my LP is totally black.... (it was cheaper that way) ... he told me it was a lot of effort to get that Zak wlyde bulls eye design ....

@blackmamba .. hey black sorry read your post just now... actually i have posted the number here in the forum somewhere ... all you have to do is search on "albertos"... let me try...i'll mail you as soon as the get the number....

18. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

@shred - Found it! Cheers! Am in Mumbai!

19. ram_dhuley

ram_dhuley New Member

bass guitar...

Hello everyone.
    I am Ram. I am a beginner on bass and I want to buy a new bass guitar.I need some suggestions on what I should buy and where from in Mumbai.....

20. HannibalX

HannibalX New Member

^alberto's :D