Air travel blues

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by anid, May 27, 2008.

1. anid

anid New Member

Im gonna travel pretty soon by air with my ibanez.... i need some do's n donts frm the experienced ones.... how safe is it really? ny precautions?

2. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Ha. its funny, cos i just replied to another very similar post.

Anid, ive traveled several times ..long long hours and ill assure you.. nowadays there are just so many ppl out there traveling with guitars..that people really dont make a big deal about it anymore.

But i can imagine the anxiety so here are a few do's and donts:
    -book it as carry on baggage
    -a soft cover is adequate..but make sure the cover is good quality..with good padding and a strap..sling it across your back so as to slim your chances of bumping it or grazing it against counters or machines or whatever. As careful as you might be, you'll bend and turn and hit it against something. If you want, get a hard cover..thats great.
    -as i advised the other person, call the airlines that you will be using and ask them what their regulations are on flying with guitars. Some airlines have issues with electric guitars..you might want to make sure, before you find yourself in a nasty situation at the ticket counter.
    -if you traveling to/from india do NOT be intimidated by the custom officials..your guitar is NOT applicable. You should not have to pay anything.
    -if you traveling to/from the US (i dont remember if the same applies to airports elsewhere), every time you put your guitar through the xray machine.. be prepared to take it out of the cover and place it on the belt. Everytime. It can become frustrating.
    Other than that, I think that's it.

Oh, and sometimes if you get lucky..the steward might ask you to play something..i got asked once. :p

3. anid

anid New Member

thanks man..i just hope im allowed to carry it as a hand baggage... once an airline refused to let it in.. and a guitar as a check-in is too risky

4. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

btw, im a girl.
    And thats why you should check with the airline first before you land on the airport with it. And if they ask you to check it in.. do it very very cautiously.

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Check with them before you go. If they say you can't take it as hand luggage, make sure you have a hard cover. Check with them and ask if they compensate for damage to the guitar.

I don't know about Indian airlines in general but US domestic ones have been known to compensate for damaged guitars. I know a guy who picked up a beautiful Taylor for free because he worked at the airlines which replaced the guitar which had a slight crack in it. He is great with wood and he fixed it up and damn, it sounds nice.

Not related really but it was a good story i thought...perhaps assuring?