Advice for playing Barre Chords

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by newbie79, Jul 20, 2004.

1. newbie79

newbie79 New Member

Well, a lot of you must have faced this. Some strings buzz, others don't play. Any advice on finger placement, practice techniques etc?

Regards

2. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

hi .. before the experts reply may i share a few notes ... barre chords are generally the most difficult to play for most players .. but here are a few tips :

Try placing your thumb in the middle of the neck right behind your barre finger. If your thumb is off-center, it's tough to press down hard enough

the way to practise is to just make a barre with one finger and get used to that up and down the fret board until you can play it perfectly. After this you can then introduce other fingers .

it feels impossible, you're not getting most of the notes out, but if you stay with it long enough, you'll be able to do it, practice is the key

it is also more difficult to play barre chords on an accoustic guitar and easier on an elec but you can try putting elec strings on the accoustic guitar..

the problem is that strings which are not properly barred create a f*** sound , so best still is practice just with a barre as said above .

last .. .nothing beats practice .. you just need practice with these chords. . your arm might hurt initially but later it'll be fine .. . morever changing to barre chords is also difficult. .. so nothing beats practice. . .all the best

3. dhim

dhim New Member

Can we use capos or slides for barre chords???

Please comment

Regards,

DHim

4. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

No.. Its rahther hard to use a slide for Barre.. I have done it in practice sessions.. Bu tits not advisable due to the fact that it may slide AWAy.

String Buzzes are generally caused because of the wrong place ment of bridge.. Or probably the bridge height.. Tune down your guitar real low, Lower the bridge.. The strings touch the Fretboard you cant play.. Now you slowly raise the bridge on either sides such that you are just able to play the first three frets comfortably without any weird sounds.This is the exact bridge height required for your guitar.. now tune back your guitar to your original tuning. And Play On...

Advice for playing Barre chords, Get your Finger positions right.. How??
    First place you Index finger.. then place all the other finger. Play string by string. To see if you have placed your fingers right.. This is quite a slow process but the only one which helps..

5. tejas

tejas ..........

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what are the capo and slides used for. I've only heard about them, but never understood their working. Please help me out.

6. jayanth

Slides are used for sliding a note.. You can probably understand if you listen T oHIGH HOPES solo by Pink Floyd and Bad Horsie Video - Steve Vai.. You will see a Cylindrical object around the finger.. Thats a slide..

7. tejas

tejas ..........

And a capo is used for?

8. jayanth

Capo has been explained in Gear Talk.. I forward the link..