Advice for getting a new electric guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by vijays, Apr 2, 2005.

1. vijays

vijays New Member

Hi experts,

I had posted this question in the thread "Time has come...". I was not sure, if it was good idea to open a new thread that is why I posted in the active thread. Anywayz, personal appologizes to fictional_real, but I didnt have any intension to hijack the thread. :eek::

Coming to the topic....I have been playing an acoustic with pick up for 4 yrs now. Finally, I am planning to get an electric guitar.

My music type is mostly Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Doors.... not much heavy metal stuff. I got a budget of arround 22k. I am from mumbai.

Through all the research in this site and other sites, I think Ibanez is not good for my type of music. I was basically thinking of Squier Fat Strat or Epiphone Les Paul 100. Going through the reviews about the above 2 types, I found that lots of negative feed back about Squier guitars. However, Epiphone Les Paul types seemed to have much better reviews. I would like to hear from you guys. Please recommend anything else too if you feel will be good. Thanks for the help.

Cheers!!
    Vijay :beer:

2. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

well you have picked the two correct models for that type of music, either you get a Fender Stratocaster copy (Squire) or a Gibson Les Paul copy (Epiphone).

Question is what is the tone you are after, sharp twangs or a softer sounding tone ?

Or would you prefer the loudest, sharpest, crispiest twang (telecaster) or a large range of tones ranging from sharp twangs to a soft sound (stratocaster) or a guitar with greater softer sounding tones (les paul) ?

3. vijays

vijays New Member

Thanks for the reply, Rabi. I just tried playing Squier Strat of one of my friend. I am not sure, how exactly all these will sound. I think, it will be better to actually try it out and hear for myself.
    Btw, how are Squier guitars? Is it that only because of poor pick ups they are rated badly or generally the woodwork itself is bad? Do you think, it is much better to go for Mexican Fender... I read in some threads it cost arround 25k approx. Although, I am new to electric guitar, I would love to buy a bit costlier guitar once and have a better guitar instead of buying a new better one after a yr. Please advice. Thank you

4. rabi_sultan

i would suggest that you save up and buy a costlier guitar than buying a "stop gap" guitar and then later buy a better one.

As for Squire vs Fender Mexican the mexican is better because everything is better. The machine heads, bridge, pickups, wood, finishing is always much better.

5. vijays

vijays New Member

Thanks again, Rabi. When I was checking the different models of strat in the squier site. I found something like 'Standard' and 'Affinity'. Most of the models seemed to have a 'Standard' and 'Affinity'. Like Standard Fat Strat and Affinity Fat strat. Do you have any idea of the different between the 2 types? Please let me know, if any of you have any idea about the differences.

6. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

thers no comaprision - jsut save up and get the mexican strat

7. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

dude...considering ur in mumbai....go for the mexican strat...its difficult to get an elpiphone LP std...in mumbairt now...apparently epiphone thinks theres to small a market over here....
    go for a custom made one....and get good american Pups put in them...SD or Dimarzio or smthg.......or get someone to get u a epi LP std...
    on the other hand...strats are easyily available....yeah....even the mexcian and the american strats......
    but still u might wanna chek out the higher end ibanez series....s series mebbe....they have some lovely guitars...and Ibanez does cell in India

8. rabi_sultan

imho there is no point in saving up for the affinity strat your just better off with the regular squire strat.

you have to ask yourself honestly are you willing to spend 26k on a fender mexican guitar or would you want to cheaper and get a squire guitar. There is a huge quality difference and thats why your paying more for it.

Your choice.

9. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

@vijays...no problem dude. its absoutely ok. Hey, i'll let you know the price list of mexican fenders here. I think furtadoes in mumbai will arrange an epiphone les paul however, you have to order it first. aint sure abt it.