Adjusting and Acoustic's truss rod

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by eldrichr, Jan 5, 2008.

1. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

well I happen to own a Granada acoustic that I’ve had for some time now, over a year.
    Of late I peered down,across the fretboard and noticed that the string height is not the same across the length of the fretboard. Well I never bothered to check when I bought the guitar but I remember the guy at furtado’s pointing to the inner part of the sound hole , to a hex nut , telling me that was the truss road and that the neck wouldn’t bow. Well I don’t know about the neck bowing but something’s wrong. .
    Or is it? Is it normal for the string height to be different on an acoustic?

As for the open harmonic on the 12th fret, well they sound pretty much identical to the fretted 12th note, but the position seems to be little off the 12th fret, of the harmonic that is. It happens to be a little more towards the bridge.

can this be fixed by adjusting the truss rod and how do it do it?
    i;ve looked up some stuff online but the pics there happen to portray only electrics where the nut in at the headstock.

Also I’ve mixed some of the strings on the thing, combining a few heavier strings with lighter ones on the higher ones. Also I use a string rated for the 2nd(ie b) on the high e. it hasn’t broken till now.
    The reason for this muddle is that I haven’t been string shopping in a while now and can’t stop playing till then. But I doubt that the string issue is the real reason.

Any ideas/?

2. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

Hi Eldrichr,
    I am a certified Fender tech here in the US, I can help you with this.
    First it is normal for an acoustic guitars action (str. height) to be slightly higher than on an electric.
    If you sight down the neck (look from the headstock and see the curve of the edges of the fretboard) the neck should be as straight as possible. If it is concave the truss rod needs to be tightened (clockwise) if it is convex it should be loosened. Turn the truss rod a quarter turn at a time with the guitar tuned to pitch and check, repeat until the neck is straight.

Peace,
    SIRIUSB

3. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

The neck of any guitar has a slight bow - it is normal and required-else there would be a lot of string buzzing.So the string height would vary and is higher on the 12th fret.
    But the way you have used your guitar..string it wit different guages everytime, I think you should take it to a luthier than trying to do anything to the truss rod by yourself. A small turn can make a big difference.And it is very easy to make your guitar worse than the condition it is in right now,and to make it buzz all over the neck.
    If you put on a heavier guage strings than your current set then it will put more pressure on the neck and it might very well develop a more-than-normal bow.

4. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

i disagree, you should be comfortable doing small adjustments like that. A luthier builds guitars and has no time for little adjustments like that. As long as you don't turn the truss rod like a twit you won't do any harm to the guitar.

5. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

Easy for a Fender tech to say that :-D

6. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

Nothing ventured nothing gained

7. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

LOL
    Consumer Vs Commercial Techie bwahahahaha.
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=33290
    @threadstarter - Try a bit of a search next time. Enough bloodshed has been done on this topic in that thread (largely at my image's expense...but as SiriusB says...nothing ventured, nothing gained -_-)

8. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

BOTTY, I can sue you for using my name on ur signatures

9. ultrabot90

I wonder who is this 'botty' you keep referring to. If by the minutest microscopic chance it happens to be the extension of the substring in my username, then I could possibly sue you for mis-spelling my name. Beware, it is a criminal offence!
    You're getting (unneeded) fame through my sig. Relax, and stay on topic. :)

10. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

@ultrabot90
    sorry about the not searching bit. did have a look at the thread you pointed me to.
    but i still dont' get one thing here.
    does the position of the harmonic on any string be exactly over the 12th fret.? on mine it's a little off. is that an issue?

11. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

On your acoustic, there isn't much you can do about it. The thing is the truss rod adjustment will affect your intonation, but I don't think it will be substantial. The main consideration will be the adjustment of your neck relief.

12. ultrabot90

@eldrichr - I've often seen in tutorials that they take into account the harmonic position being off by a bit...so it must be pretty common. Otherwise, thehundredthone put the point...
    @thehundredthone - Just for information's sake, say someone's guitar has this harmonic 'off' thing...how does one repair it, then?