Adding extra spring into tremolo cavity

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by death_metal_fan, Jun 15, 2005.

1. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Hello everyone,

I have a question for the guitar experts. I just put a set of strings (Ernie Ball 0.09 thru 0.46 gauge) on my Ibanez RG370 (with an Edge II bridge) and I just cannot get the tremolo to properly counterbalance. Even if I drive the screws all the way into the body of the guitar, the bridge is still leaning too far forward.

I'm thinking that maybe I need to add an extra spring (which I bought today). Can someone please tell me how to go about adding the extra spring?

There are 3 springs in the back cavity (aligned parallel to each other). I might even try to arrange the 2 outer springs in a diagonal alignment (like on some Jacksons) to try and add more tension before I try adding another spring...if only I knew how to get them off and on.

Serious answers only please. This problem is driving me insane.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Please look at this page to see the 2 alignments I am referring to.

https://www.jemsite.com/tech/t_2mods.htm

Right now the springs are in the parallel arrangement (left picture).

2. death_metal_fan

Damnit...where are all the guitar techies?

3. infinite aaz

infinite aaz Member

hi ur question is how to put the extra spring, is int ? but i must say three springs are enough, but if u intend to put extra spring, it should b inserted parallel(not like jackson) every brand has its own requirements, to put the spring pick up the spring insert its one end in the socket hole of the guitar behind the body, now real difficulty is to put the other end this can b done by taking anothere wire loop pass the loop through the other end of the spring and stretch it put the other end in the othere hole after doing this take off the extra wire loop u have done, i thinlk it was the problem, if any feel free to ask and good luck

4. death_metal_fan

I will try that. Thank you.