About Some Gear Available In Bangalore

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, May 20, 2005.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    Yesterday I was loiterning around a few music stores to check out what's new with them. I went to Reynolds (Bangalore) and checked out all their guitars. There was one Tansen Telecaster and the store keeper wanted me to play that. I refused saying that's not my kind of guitar and went to pick up a Strat Model Yamaha Pacifica. But he insisted that I played through the Tele. So I plugged the Tele through a 15W Fender's sister companies amp (Dont remember the name). The guitar was unbelievable. The pick ups were bright and so crystal clean and you think it's a proper professional stuff. Playing clean was a real treat. It almost sounded like I played through a painstakingly done clean patch. On playing through the neck it had a warm acoustic kind of sound. Altogether it was a terrific guitar and it cost Rs.12,000. For a minute I started to think if I will swipe my card and take that guitar home. Then my senses took over me and I had to leave without the guitar. Amazing piece. Anybody going to Reynolds, Bangalore remember to check this Telecaster copy from Tansen.

Reynolds also had a bunch of Boss Pedals. I went there to get 10 guage strings which are not available anywhere in Bangalore now. Boss MT2 cost Rs.6500. Boss TU15 Tuner cost Rs.5500. Man, what a rip off.

Then went to Rhythm Musicals. He also had a few Boss pedals and the new addition on guitars was a GB&a Bass. It was pretty good. I didn't check the price though. In this store the Boss TU12 was Rs.5500 and he had a Yamaha Mechanical Metronome which was for Rs.3000. Rip off, Rip off, Rip off.
    I felt like singing "Here a rip, there a rip, everywhere rip rip, E, I, E, I, O"

Just wished that we get good gears at a reasonable price in the near future.

2. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Man...am itching to start my own store....but can't. Am stuck with a dead-end job!! lol!

3. ronnieanand

Start one soon. Blackmamba and also give special discounts to IGTians.

4. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

ronnie, did u find brands like esp,jackson,kramers etc?

5. ronnieanand

Nothing in Bangalore. You can Kramer, Epiphone, Squier, Yamaha and Ibanez in addition to some Korean and local brands. Not much variety either. Dont rely on buying anything from Bangalore unless you are stuck up in Bangalore like me. Delhi is a better place to buy in your case.

6. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

hey ronnie I heard there is this new washburn showroom somewhere near koramangala or something. Is this true? or is it the usual 'I saw a UFO' thingy

7. chintan9

one more thing da. I am looking for some good guitar cables(just for gigs). Where can I get them? I dont mind Paying like 500bucks a piece(MAX)

8. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

go for planet waves - theyre really good - theyre available in furtadoes mumbai - but im sure theyll be avaialbel everywhrere else in india as well...

9. chintan9

How long are these cables? And how much do they cost?

10. ronnieanand

Hey Chintan,
    I bought Fender cables. They are 15 Feet long and cost me $15 each piece. I bought 6 of them and sold three. I have three left bit I am keeping them. One of my friend got some cables from Jayanagar. They are really good and it cost him some 300 bucks or so. They are 15 Feet long I guess. Of the things that's available here check out Viper. These are Italian cables and are pretty decent and doesn't cost as much as others. It might cost you about 400 for 15 feet. I have seen RSJ Online ad of someone in Bombay selling George L cables. They are the best cables in the world. Go through some old ads and see if you can get them. There's no comparison to George L cables.

11. ronnieanand

Hey Chintan,
    I am not sure about the Washburn store but maybe it's near the huge Guitar Mall which stores about 100,000 guitars in a 25,000 sqft large store and also where you consistently get about 75% discount in most of the gears.

I saw the UFO too :beer:

12. chintan9

15 feet is perfect. Where can I buy these cables?(I am talking about your friend's cables)

13. chintan9

Will u get those vipers in rhythm musicals?

14. ronnieanand

You might get Vipers in Reynolds. It's not with Rhythms. Dont get cables from Rhythm Musicals. He sold some what he called as imported cables for Rs.275. I bought 4 of them and they are hopeless. Fender cables are pretty good and might be available in Bombay. For Vipers, you should either check up in Chennai or in Bombay. The cables my friend bought was from some place in Jayanagar. I will get the details and let you know.

15. chintan9

thanks man, give me a call once u find out

16. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

i dont know too much about cables - but im guessing that the george ls would be really expensive - id reccomend planet waves (450 bucks for 5 metres) because theyre garuanteed for life... i really like them - theyre easy to store and coil up coz they havce this hook kinda thing built into them which makes them easy to coil up...

theyre really well reputed - avaialbe at furtaods mumbai - and im sure at other places elsewhere....

17. ronnieanand

George L would cost about $20 for the 15 Feet one. It has a very thick di-electric between the co-axial lines which prevents a lot of egress and ingress radiations which could lead of loss of signal quality. They cost about $0.85 per foot plus $9 for the two connectors. Even the connectors are of very high quality.

18. chintan9

I am loooking for good cables cause I heard they play a major role in the overall tone and sound. Also, a 15 feet cable enables you to move a little more on stage and stuff.

@ronnie- Ask your friend da. How good are these cables? Imported?

19. chintan9

@ deathdr87- I dont want a 5 metre cable. Looking for a longer one.
    One more thing da, can u do me a small favour? My drummer is looking for this drumset - Mapex V series. Could u find out how much this thing costs in Furtados and if they ship to bangalore. Also could u find out what colours available?

20. ronnieanand

Hey Chintan,
    1 Metre = 3.2 feet (approx). 5 Metres will be more than 15 feet. I have used those imported cables my friend had. It's pretty decent. Cables make a lot of difference in tone. Yesterday night, I was fixing a lot of broken cables I had. I could hear treble and gain getting cut down in a lot of local cables. Fender cables were really good in that aspect. These cables are nothing but transmission lines. Any electronics guy here will tell how much evil a transmission line has to offer for a signal. If you understand them, you would never want to use a cables again.

The cables you use are called as co-axial cables. Which has a inner core and an outer shield. Though these two wires are insulated against each other, there exists field current between them. There also exists other evils which manifest itself as capacitance. Capacitor has a ability to pass high frequency signals and to act as an open circuit for low frequency. If the capacitance between the core and the shield or between the two wires in your guitar is more, then all the high frequencies gets to the ground without reaching the other end of the cable. Effectively you will lose treble and gain if you use high capacitance signals. So whatever cables you are looking at make sure, it has low resistance and low capacitance. There are a lot of high capacitance cables which are even used by pros. That's because they want the trebles and gain to get cut. Hendrix was one guy who preferred high capacitance cables and lot of people say that was the secret of his tone. For you chintan, I dont think you will excuse a cable which will lose gain and treble, so when you buy make sure you buy the ones with very low capacitance and resistance.