About posting chords.

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by i'm_not_neo, Oct 24, 2006.

1. i'm_not_neo

i'm_not_neo el valor máximo absoluto

Not that its bad but I really think we should stop posting chords with lyrics.This is in complete interest of newbies.Just a few days ago I searched for the chords of Roobaroo....and it felt like complete spoon feeding.I know even I post chords with lyrics but I'm gonna stop it too.
    I mean its okay for pros but newbies will get used to this and will never be able to figure out the time signature of song or when the chords are to be shifted, on their own.Obviously evry1 who reads this will say "if you don't wanna post lyrics,don't!" but I want every1 to do the same unless n until some1 actually asks you the tabs with lyrics as a rule.Till then let them keep hearing the song and keep playing the chords to realise which chords merge where.
    I feel that the newbies (me included) will get well acquainted with the sound of the chords if they figure out when the chords are to be shifted on their own.
    Its really hard to express what I want to say but I think the experts here will get it.
    Of course, this is a request not just to the senior members of IGT but to anyone who posts tabs.

2. jozko

jozko Banned

I am newbie and follow chords of Bandbaaja mainly. he's experienced. He posts lyrics sometimes and sometimes just chords barwise. Sometimes he gives clues or asks to solve some songs chords. I like his method of teaching newbies most.

Many songs eventhough lyrics are there, the exact chord change is not clear due to mislignment, so newbies have to workout too exact changes than blindly play inorder to sound good.

Whenever i posted chords, I tried to put changes in brackets inline lyrics. And also if possible tried to give chords measurewise alongwith. I am learning it from Kishmu's postings. Kishmus chords are best on Internet as far as i know and users need some understanding to follow his postings. He doesn't give full lyrics. But I have been able to follow his postings after following Bandbaaja's for a while.

Your point is sincere but i wonder if it works. Most guitar sites give lyrics alongwith chords. It did no harm to me, i think

3. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

4. i'm_not_neo

@spy...if u seriously didn't get it I want ppl to post just chords n not the lyrics.

5. jozko

jozko Banned

spy edited it, perhaps he asked me.
    Your point is clear to me NOT_NEO

6. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

@Neo-Hater
    Chords are meant to be posted barwise, I always do it like that. I don't even figure out the lyrics of a hindi song. But here, in this forum lot of the people are self learned and they just dont know about barwise chord shifts. They will only understand chord changing with lyrics.
    I do not say we must do it with lyrics for them, I never do it myself. I'm lazy and would not take up finding and writing down lyrics with chords.
    But here, the chord submitters are also the ones who don't know about barwise chord changes.
    Post a tutorial for all of them.

7. i'm_not_neo

I didn't really know that some of you posted the chords bar-wise.
    Laziness or not, that is the right way to post them.

8. Morbid_Angel

This is how i post it. Barwise.

9. jozko

jozko Banned

^ i like the method very much AJ. And also give beats info like 4/4 etc. I am trying to learn these bar and beat concepts. v good

10. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

good suggestion..But sometimes, u do need the lyrics...But posting chords lyrics wise, not too much needed...POsting it countwise will do...
    And another thing, I request all the members to stop posting Rythm patterns...C'mon ppl, it's too much! Let them learn how to play!

11. jozko

jozko Banned

I differ on that dude, they are only pointers. And people posting patterns doesn't mean patterns are correct or proper. So is the case with chords/tabs. It is best if one can learn everything on one's own. I mean let people figure out chords too. Let nobody post that. It will make them better musicians for sure. But for hobbyists like me who have never seen a real guitarist in person or have access to class, these strumming patterns are huge help.

Just a week ago or a decent guitarist had posted chords of 'Akele Hai' song. He could strum it too obviously. I then directed him to Jay's chords and strumming audio/video here. You can read his reaction here. It probably suddenly lifted his playing. There is no harm. If Jay played bad he is not gonna be impressed for sure.

Moreover I have seen good guitar forums and courses by established guitar tutors on Internet teaching strumming of songs with patterns, say Sultans of swing. So I highly welcome them. Also Neo's thread on strumming pattern videos had more than one member asking for it.

Bandbaaja always posts patterns in details. Just chk the sholay theme thread. That's a lot of time and work. He is an experienced player. I respect him.

I agree on the generic point though. People who want to learn more will eventually learn things in detail, guitaring or anything, rgds

12. MrPotts

MrPotts New Member

I think the chords should be posted in rough order, as a guideline, and let the novice work it out from there. Chords over lyrics can get a site shutdown. Chords with the exact bars to match a specific song, can cross the line too.
    I think it's better to display: G~Bm~Em~F~C~D and say ,"now go play some tune by Lynyrd Skynyrd....." You can learn a lot that way, instead of spoonfeeding everything with tab.

13. jozko

jozko Banned

Some members have posted just key signatures for many songs. Maybe that's enough info needed for an advanced guitarist. Or advanced guitarist doesn't even need that.

I believe sites like this survive because it helps more people including hobbyists with some pointers. I've tried to workout chords of some hindi and malayalam songs reasonably well. So nobody's stopping me from tryin.

The end result is that now even fellas expecting to be spoonfed can also play to some extent. Sites and chord/key posting are not required to make great guitarists.. Internet isn't too old

14. SG1

SG1 "Brown Jesus"

i think chords with the lyrics are just fine and works good ...

lOOKS FINE TO ME FOR PROS AND FOR NOOBS.

15. jozko

jozko Banned

SG1 i like chords postings as u put example above. I donno yet to identify Gsus2 Cadd9 et al. but I am so excited when someone posts chords with more accurate chords. I can refer to chart and play them.

If i find myself I am likely to stick to G C etc. That doesn't mean I am not gonna study and identify such chords. I am already trying to identify 7th chords from a Bandbaaja lesson. Song is Mukesh's Kisiki muskurahat :D

btw which song is ^^ the one u posted??

16. i'm_not_neo

@SG1 I'm not saying posting lyrics is bad,but for eg. if you just mentioned the chords in that stanza (Cadd9,Cadd9,E#7,etc) and a newbie to figure out when they are used in that stanza he'll have to work on it & register the sound of each chord in his head,which is what I want.Newbies just try to merge the sound of the chords in the song rather than knowing their individual sound.

@Sugata...I'm with you plz stop giving rhythm patterns.What happens when you give rhythm pattern is that you shift the chords blindly.
    eg. My friend can play "teri deewani" very nicely with the pattern (ddudu) but ask him to play the chords once when they are actually shifted,he can't!
    What he does is that he gets the timing of the first chord right and then blindly follows the pattern.This works fine most of the times but sometimes he's not synchronized with the song which sounds weird or if he misses a chord he has no idea where to rejoin with the song.
    I hope every1 gets my point.The point is patterns remove the need to understand time signatures.

17. jozko

jozko Banned

Can't agree with you more. Yes and all please stop posting chords as well. It might remove the need to learn and understand theory and any effort to train and sharpen ears. Hope you all get my point.

18. Morbid_Angel

Cmon man, I mean, a guitarist playing since 3-4 months can play chords but he won't be able to figure em out. Ear training takes a lot of time.

You can post like, if u need rhythm pattern, PM me. If u know the guy is jus too lazy, don't give it.

My opinion which doesn't matter. :p:

19. jozko

jozko Banned

^ ur opinion does matter

20. Morbid_Angel

^
    Thank you for taking my opinion into consideration for something i dont know.