About Chikun Gunya

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by i'm_not_neo, Oct 19, 2006.

1. i'm_not_neo

i'm_not_neo el valor máximo absoluto

This is especially for Mumbaikars.Considering we're at risk from dengue and malaria there's yet another mosquito disease "Chikun Gunya" (C.G).
    So what's risky about it is that it has no cure yet.It's symptoms are similar to dengue and the only place where you can be scrutinized is Pune,not in Mumbai (atleast that was the case a month ago when my aunt got it).So by the time you know its C.G thre case gets a lot worse.I've mentioned the symptoms and prevention measures but they are a bit vague,you'll notice.
    So to sum it up "AVOID MOSQUITO BITES."

Chikungunya-Symptoms
    The incubation period is usually 1-12 days. This means the disease manifests 1 to 12 days after the bite of the mosquito. The symptoms and signs include the following

Fever (> 40 C, 104 F)

Headache

Joint pain (or arthralgia)

Arthritis affecting multiple joints that can be debilitating.

Swelling of Joints

Rash (May occur rarely)

Sometimes there maybe infection of the conjunctiva of the eye and some photophobia.

Chills

Nausea

Vomiting

Bleeding or hemorrhage (May occur rarely).

In one study over 12% of patients who contract Chikungunya virus infection develop chronic joint symptoms(4).

Prevention:
    The best way to avoid CHIKV infection is to prevent mosquito bites. There is no vaccine or preventive drug. Prevention tips are similar to those for dengue or West Nile virus:

* Use insect repellent containing an DEET or another EPA-registered active ingredient on exposed skin. Always follow the directions on the package.
    * Wear long sleeves and pants (ideally treat clothes with permethrin or another repellent).
    * Have secure screens on windows and doors to keep mosquitoes out.
    * Get rid of mosquito breeding sites by emptying standing water from flower pots, buckets and barrels. Change the water in pet dishes and replace the water in bird baths weekly. Drill holes in tire swings so water drains out. Keep children's wading pools empty and on their sides when they aren't being used.
    * Additionally, a person with chikungunya fever or dengue should limit their exposure to mosquito bites in order to avoid further spreading the infection. The person should stay indoors or under a mosquito net.
    *Do not use aspirins for relief if you're suffering from C.G/Dengue.

"Ek machchar admi ko beemar bana deta hai."-Nana Patekar + i'm_not_neo(editor)

2. Chikun Gunya sounds like a tapori's name.

3. erutu

erutu terminally awesome

A tapori who's almost killing people.

4. i'm_not_neo

i'm_not_neo el valor máximo absoluto

lol...yeah...how come they couldn't come up with a more deadly/frightening name?This one sounds kinda fweird.Morever it feels like a bird disease due to the chicken homophone.

5. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

LOL when it first came out I got it confused with the bird-flu thingy.

ALL-OUT lao...machcharon se chhutkara pao.