A question related to scales

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by cool.abhi79, Apr 14, 2009.

1. cool.abhi79

cool.abhi79 New Member

I was going through some scale related tutorials and came across a few fretboard maps for them. I will base my question on the one that i am copying below

1st Position (Lydian)
    |------------------------------1-3-5------------------|
    |--------------------------3-5------------------------|
    |--------------------2-4-5----------------------------|
    |--------------2-3-5----------------------------------|
    |--------2-3-5----------------------------------------|
    |--1-3-5----------------------------------------------|

Its a Cmaj scale shape in 4th form. (i can be wrong at ne place so plz correct me in that case ).

Now as visible from the fret positions the High E and low E have a 5 fret fingering needed. Though its not very difficult but why cant i play the open A and not play the 5th fret A on High E which will help me play the whole scale in the 4 fret box and will not require me to move too much ( I dont need to play the 5th fret newhere why cant i move them to the next open strings ). Also why am i playing the notes FGABCDEFGA while playing a Cmaj scale in a mode that starts with F when i should be playing something like may be FGABCDEF.

Generalizing the question ( Cant say for sure ) Isnt it possible to play most of the places where there is a 5 fret stretch by moving of string and play withing 4 frets. If yes why its not done like that.

Hope i am clear with my question as i have just started with scales and i am still trying to get the boxes sketched in my mind.

Thanks for the help to whoever gives time to go through this and didn't call me stupid.

Regards
    Abhi

2. mani_manu

mani_manu New Member

3. cool.abhi79

cool.abhi79 New Member

thanks for the link it sure looks like having some good explanations.