A query about acoustic electric guitars

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by dhawald3, Dec 20, 2008.

1. dhawald3

dhawald3 New Member

Hi

I am a noob and I am planning to buy a new guitar.
    I want to know If I plug in my acoustic electric guitar to the line-in of my computer then will I get the guitar sound through the PC, similar to like an Amp.

I mainly want to know this as I wish to record my guitar through line-in using software on the PC.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

This is the first time I have seen a n00b referring to himself as a n00b
    Whatta n00b!

PS: Answer to your question is yes. Only if you have the pickups installed and wiring complete

3. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

no you can't. you'd get no signal that way. you need a preamp to connect to the line in of your pc sound card. and another issue is the degradation of the signal when you plug it in directly. it's because the impedances don't match.!

4. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

yup! eldrichr is right....connecting it directly to the line in port wont work....you'll either need a pre amp or a processor....

but what you can do is connect it to the 'mic' port......that'll work.......but it wont exaclt come out so well!

cheers!
    :beer:

5. +HeRo+

+HeRo+ New Member

well..
    u can do it in ur pc... u have to change the plug-in..

as in the amplifier wire the plug i too large..

i have also done this..

i just changed the plug of the amplier wire with the one of headphone..

it workes.....

dunno iif u get it working

6. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

umm, no. that's not quite what i meant. it's childs play to realise that the two jacks are of different sizes. that you can fix with a simple adaptor , or make one yourself.

what i meant was that the line in port expects a strong signal to be coming into it. if you were to directly plug in your guitar into that port, you'd hear next to nothing. even if you amplify the signal on your pc, you'd have it buried in a ton of noise. the mic port will work but then again, the impedance difference sorta colours your signal.

cheers!

7. Jeanguitar

Jeanguitar New Member

If you are planning to buy new guitar I would suggest only one thing to you first go through online site and search about guitars you will get much information and you can buy online also. I suggest you one site, they provide awesome information regarding Guitars and How To learn Guitars,
    https://totallyguitars.com.

Jeanguitar