A Perfect Setup

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Shreddy, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Shreddy

Shreddy LaneyManeyResurrection

Does it include having no Buzz when not plugged into an amp? I hate buzz...and i have it on my alexi...but it cant be heard through the amp...i have a feeling the neck has tilted backward a little...i get buzz on places within the first three frets...

2. subhajit_981

subhajit_981 New Member

Check your Thruss rod is, it's a case of plain bending of neck due to high pressure on it....

Ur instructor never taught u that u should allways loosen your strings before storage of guitar??

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Check your neck profile. It needs to bow slightly. If that's not the case then it's time for a little truss rod adjustment.

Do you loosen your strings each time you finish playing?

4. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

truss rod adjustment.. or just increase ur action.. and for heaven's sake do not loosen strings after playing if u have a floyd rose... lol...

5. Shreddy

He did....I don't see how that is relevant since i play my guitar every day.

And i have a feeling my guitar is bending backwards...and i have no idea about truss rod adjustments...anyone care to explain (other than subhajit..)

6. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

lol... 10chrts.. wtf..

7. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Are u asking about strings buzzing?

If so, then most electric guitars have that if the action is set low... If Bobby setup the guitar, its almost guaranteed to happen ;)

A lil bit of buzz is inevitable with very low action and need not cause any harm. If u feel the notes are dying away too quickly or are starting to jar, then u need to get a proper setup.

Are u able to pull off long bends on all the frets without the note cutting off?

8. Shreddy

i feel it ending sooner than my other guitar/s. Where can i get a good setup done? Other than bobs

9. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

i hope u always keep it back in the case after uve finished playing it..lot of these warps happen due to weather changes..india isnt one of those countries where u can keep ur guitars outside like they show in the photos, unless of course you have a temperature controlled room with dehumidifiers:p:

10. thehundredthone

Check the neck profile before you make any statements about it bending backwards. You don't want to adjust the truss rod the other way.

Raise the action a little to see if that helps, first.

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Banagalore is actually nice place to store guitars.

Hardly much change in temperature and humidity (unlike most other cities in India).

Buzzing is inevitable in low action guitar. If you get bothered by buzz, raise action and make you guitar as unplayable as an acoustic givson.

12. Shreddy

Ouch ok, i guess its fine then. Just a little buzz won't kill anyone...

13. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Unless its a buzzSAW !!

14. thehundredthone

LOLZ0rs! :p:

Just raise the action a tiny bit you won't lose your amazing 2bps speed. ;)

15. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

u mean nps.

i like a high action, gives a lot more tightness and clarity to the tone...but i guess its not for ze shredders(*cough*wannabe*cough*):p:

16. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

truss rod adjustments are simple
    first thing you do is fret the neck at the first fret and the last fret and measure the distance between the string and the fretboard at like the 7th fret..if there is very little to o gap and the string is like brushing the fret ,then you have got a a back bow ..

if its a back bow ..turn the truss rod clockwise with an allen wrench.

the general idea is ..if you want relief ..loosen the rod (Counter clockwise) and if you want to tighten(which is your case)..turn the rod clockwise

just be careful ..and remember never to force anything ..beyond a certain point ,if the rod just does not budge ,take it to a guitar tech..

17. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

1 more thing ..remember to detune your guitar before you play around with your truss rod ..n after every adjustment (make very small turns) ..let the neck "set"for a while(like 15 min) ,then measure the distance at the 7th fret again and proceed as necessary..

18. thehundredthone

A) NO.
    B) NO.
    C) NO. :p: Don't mention that acronym. That school should burn!
    D) Give the guy some credit, sometime soon he might be able to play at 2bps (120bpm) although I won't mention what measures ;)