a pedal for metallica like distortion?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mad_spartan, Nov 16, 2008.

1. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

well i have an amp. but its a small marshall MG15CDR.

2. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

well actually it has. i had done some research on pedals and procys before posting here. see on this link near the bottom of the page -

https://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g21u/

3. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

well what i was thinking was, buy a NS-2 and MT-2 for now, then go on buying other pedals one by one when i have the money. in that way i will get the perfect material. and it will be an one time investment. see, if i buy a procy now and later on moved on to pedals, then i will spend more that way pedals + procy. but if i buy pedals from start itself, then its one way and one time investment.

and yeah i did a good research before buying guitar. i got this forum and i was not able to create an account here. i was very sad. buy i searched some threads here and got to know fenders = single coils = good for blues. ibanez = humbuckers = good for metal :). so got Ibanez GRG170DX :) no problems with guitar.

4. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

well now as you all say procys, then now the only question remains is which one do i get?

5. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Shuck.. !! It seems like a newly added thing. plus they're now bundling it with Cubase s/w. Bloody hell they weren't there last year when I was buying!

6. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

hey do you recommend me zoom G2.1u?

7. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

The Line6 POD is good as well.. but i don't have one and only have fiddled with it twice (at a friend's place).
    Personally I love the G2.1U. Although it takes quite some effort to create the 'just right' tone.. it usually is worth it. It sure is a good processor.

8. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

is the wah wah good? and how many patches can i save?

9. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

You store 40 custom patches of your own, plus there are 40 preset (non-customizeable) patches on top.
    The Wah is average at best. You can't expect a processor in this range to get you a good Wah sound. It's decent enough for starters though!

10. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

cool. so my final desicion would be Zoom G2.1u. :)

thanks a lot for your help guys :)

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Mad_spartan, you are not getting my point.

TOday its decision on pedal vs processor. Tomorrow if land yourself with a say POD - you would want PODx3. Next you will get bored with POD, and get a tube amp.

Next you will get bored with a regular tube amp and get a more exquisite old tube amp like Marshall super lead "plexi".

This thing never stops.

Same will happen with pedals. YOur MT-2 is gonna sound like shit after one month. Believe me.
    Then you would think about modding it. Or replacing it. Or using it as a tone modifier, while you use a tech21pedal to generate main tone.

Its a never ending quest for perfect tone.

You have to realize that first you need to become proficient in playing.
    That is mainly the guitar part. Not the pedals, not the amp.
    But pure guitar.

A decent processor - which is able to make you sound pretty close to your "guitar hero" is good enough motivation for you to master. Its not gonna hamper your progress.

One more thing is to check for latency - there is a small gap between changing the patches on most processors. Not a great thing while playing live on stage. But you can manage if you playing at home, recording.

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

PS: I cannot check from office - but you can check the sound samples from the respective websites.

They usually give you a decent idea of what you can come close to.

13. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

@ alpha1

i got your point completely. buy a procy now, get total beast at guitar :) and then think of stomp boxes and all. :) and considering the patch change speed and my budget, i have decided to go for Zoom G2.1u. and yeah i checked the sound clips on the websites too :)

thanks a lot again for the help guys :)

you guys really rock :D keep up the good work :)

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Just keep this in mind:

You wanna be a great player, who can make use of even the shittiest gear in this world, and still sound like Django Rheinhart or Frank Gambale etc

Or you would wanna lug around the most expensive and exquisite gear, and still not able to play well.

Who will get the crowd boos, and who would get the crowd cheers?

15. blahblahblah

blahblahblah New Member

i have a zoom g2.1u..n i know that it has great reviews too...but..i dunno how to play a guitar...i just bought it for my stupid boyfren n we broke up...so m sellin it...u want it?...

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Just sell yourself - rest will follow suite ...

17. blahblahblah

blahblahblah New Member

@alpha

whaaa?r u talkin bout?

18. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

rofl......

btw alpha1, what stuff do you have? i mean guitars, amps and all? just curious to know.

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I have two guitars - one Givson and one Tulsi (made a thread about this guitar long time back)

One Korg Toneworks AX100G processor. Still got better tone than most of the processors at same price range even after 5-6 years.

One Tech21 Tri-ac sansamp.

Oh and for amp I use the line-in of Marshall MG10CD. Never felt the need to upgrade.

20. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

line in of the amp? you mean the CD in or the guitar input?