a pedal for metallica like distortion?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mad_spartan, Nov 16, 2008.

1. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

where do i get to check these sound clips? on which website?

i tried youtube, but did not get it.

2. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

www.bossus.com for the Boss pedals.. and Digitech website for the Digitech pedals.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

4. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

thanks a lot guys. those sound clips really helped. from those things, i have decided to get MT-2.

now just want to know where can i get boss pedals in mumbai?

5. ElectricMahatma

ElectricMahatma New Member

From what I read abt Mr Kirk Hammet's guitar rig some where on the web , one could buy a decent sized house with the stuff he uses for getting the oh so amazing tone that he has.

Now for us mortals (esp me and you who have MGC 15 CDRs) , no , you can not get that tone or something even close.

Why ?

a) 15 watt amp :(
    b) 15 watt SOLID state amp :(
    c) absence of a guitar with a decent pickup
    d) etc etc.

Recording wise , I've always managed to get a good tone eventually by merging panned laters of the recorded o/p that I get off from the MT2 or even better , MT2 plus parameteric and compressing effects off the XT live.

Not trying to undermine ur quest for a good tone , but yeah letting out some frustration that I've had in the past and recently with getting a good tone out of my setup.

Ok, I will shut up now.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Thanks.
    But you know - there is a theory of diminishing returns.
    The more (effort/investment) you put in, the lesser returns (refinement in tone) you shall get.

Moving from MG15CD distortion to POD X3 (with Mesa emulation) may cost you just 20-25K, but will result in vastly improved tone.

Moving from POD X3 to Mesa Boogie Mark III or Mark IV may get you even closer to the metallica tone. (but not very different from what you will get from PODx3), but at an expense of 80-90K.

Now you decide how much you want to spend.
    Thats how the game goes.

Get it off Bajaao.com.

7. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

umm by ur method and thanks to keynes.....graduating frm a Kaps 10 watt amplifier to a marshall 15 CDR would give us da maximum satisfaction.............provided utility can be measured............

8. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

damn, i can't find it in shops. :( and for bajaao, i don't have a credit card

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^They take payements via account transfers also.

Ashu (if my memory serves right) used to take money via e-transfer or check deposits also.
    Ofcourse, its bit risky that way but I havent heard any swindling by Bajaao.

10. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

okay. will see what i can do. btw, i am looking at processors too for like other types of music and mainly delay and acoustic kinda tones and wah and other effects. also some light distortion. the ones that i can afford at this moment are Zoom G2.1U and Line 6 Floor Pod.

also, will i have to buy the noise suppressor pedal with Boss MT-2? or the processor's Noise Reduction will work if i connect the procy for cleans and MT-2 for distortion?

this is gonna be my first ever pedal and procy. that's why so many questions

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

If you are getting a processor get a good one, and forget about MT-2s and BD-2s.

12. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

is zoom G2.1U or Line 6 Floor Pod a good substitute for MT-2. coz yesterday i saw MT-2 in action at my friend's house. he got it from USA. it produces too much noise i mean the buzzing sound. that was killing me. i will go mad with that irritating noise. he also had some big korg processor. i think something AX1500. it was quite good. but the metal tone of that procy did not impress me. and i don't think buying a costly procy is my option.

so after seeing MT-2 in action, i have only 2 options left. either the Zoom G2.1U or Line 6 Floor Pod. i saw some videos on youtube. the Zoom G2.1U gave a very very nice metallica tone. the patches for it are also available online very easily + the USB support is the thing that i would like to have. Line 6 Floor Pod did not have many videos. so don't know how metal sounds on it.

so confused between Zoom G2.1U and Line 6 Floor Pod. any suggestions on this?

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Can't you try in stores?

Large musical stores would be having both or atleast either one.

14. ElectricMahatma

ElectricMahatma New Member

Well, I've had both Boss Gt-6 and Line 6 POD XT Live and was not satisfied with the metal tone I was getting out of 'em and have sold both of them off ! Right now I've got a MT-2 and yes , it is quite a good pedal. Ofcourse , we would need addtitional effects like EQ , compressor and NR to get a much better tone but I truly feel that one is muc hbetter off investing in a very good amp rather than investing in an expensive pedal ( if you can do both,great!)

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Which amp?

16. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

well i am buying this stuff from my own hard collected money. coz my parents already paid for the guitar and amp and so i don't want to tell them to buy more stuff. buying an amp head + cabinet = very costly and it will take me years to collect that kind of money. if i go on buying pedals its kinda easier. i mean 1 pedal after a few months and for processor, its a lot easier. also, buying a good amp is of no use for me. coz people in my neighborhood kinda hate distortion. so whats the use of buying an 100w amp and playing it on line volume 1? ofcourse i will get a good metal tone. still that kinda money is hard for me. for now i can buy either a processor or Boss MT-2 + Boss NS-2.

but still confused between pedal vs procy. i have heard that most procys have high gain mode based on boss MT-2. so sometimes i feel buying MT-2 is a great idea. but then i also get the feeling that wah wah pedal + delay + eq + NS-2 + compressor = too high like more than 30k?

kinda in a big trouble. :(

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Only you can save yourself.

Get a processor.

18. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

+1
    Get a processor.

You cant use a pedal without an amp..

19. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

The G2.1U does not have USB support... what ru talking about?

20. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

You have too many options in your head.. and despite havin a budget, you are attmpting to get the perfect set of tools to sound like Metallica. Trust this.. you can't get that with change money.
    Just go and buy a processor for now. If you fiddle with it long enough, you'll get a good tone very close to Metallica.
    What guitar o you have by the way??? Cuz if you want a Metallica tone from Single coil puckups, it's even harder.