A must read for everybody who posts in this forum

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by iprakash, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

Hello IGTians, what I write below has already been posted by me in this thread. I know this is NOT THE RIGHT FORUM for such a post but believe posting this here makes more sense as it is concerned with this forum.

I sincerely believe that posts should be moderated on IGT. A practical way to implement this is that we have a new forum where all posts are visible only when approved by a moderator. The moderator or moderators check each post for:
    • Already posted stuff
    • Quality stuff in terms of accuracy of notes/tabs/chords

So people know where to find real stuff. Quality posts from past years can be slowly moved to this new moderated forum. Some more rules need to be thought of.

The rest can continue posting crap in existing forums without any research.

2. armani4eva

armani4eva New Member

that puts so much work on the moderator it would never work! why should the moderator check for already posted content when every person can just press the search button and check themselves. I always thought most of the posts here are great in quality!

3. kl12

kl12 (Ghost Note)

quality of stuff can be judged by thread rating if every one do so sincerely..

4. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

That is the problem my dear friend. People just like the idea of posting without searching and just for the sake of earning points or whatever, copy paste stuff from older posts and start a new thread. It just drives me crazy :mad:

BTW quality comes at a price and we need to put in that extra effort to put a stop to this crap posting I have been observing since I regularly started monitoring new posts.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

iprakash for mod (for hindi guitar tabs section)

6. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

ahemmm this reminds me of sth

*blinks eyes innocently and continues to get his suitcase n other stuffs ready*

7. paranoid13rohan

paranoid13rohan .: iNDiaN iDioT 3.0 :.

@IPRAKSH ...
    gud idea ...
    but 2 much pressure 4 d MODS ...
    some of d English Guitar Sites hav this stuff ...

8. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

I know its difficult to control the crap without much effort but then let us forcefully educate people in terms of using IGT.

If a new registration occurs on IGT then the person is not allowed to post unless he/she reads certain threads. Well one cannot guarantee that the person actually reads the stuff inside those threads but atleast clicks on it. People ask for things like How do I search? There is a thread which explains this. Its right in front of their eyes but still people don't read it. We need to force atleast a click on such threads.

IGT is our site and we all need to respect the posting rules. Please people post for quality, post with thruthfulness, post for sharing your creativity, post for helping others and above all search thoroughly before you post. Do not post in order to earn points or show-off stuff being your own which really has been copied right there from IGT!

Hope this plea of mine has some effect on the careless behavior (knowingly or unknowingly) of certian IGTians.

I love IGT.

9. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

in some forums i know but wont talk abt here, when someone registers thats someone's first few posts dont appear immediately they r first read by mods n if considered worthy allowed to appear in the forum only then the users posting "power" is active ie his later posts r no longer scrutinised by mods n admins

it would be great if it was applied here

as we have loads fo newbies who start threads with title hi to ask for chords or post junk threads

hmmmm

i know it will be a tough job for the adminis n mod.........but it will reduce those stupid threads around..

10. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

we could create an archives section where mods could put the best chords/tabs for a particular artist
    like we have a thread named gnr in the archives section where mods would enter the best submitted versions of gnr tracks
    no member should be allowed to post in it.only the mods can do so
    it won't have any replies just the songs

11. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

That's a very nice suggestion prit. Marking duplos or bad posts would no doubtly be too much time consuming so this hand picking of the best posts should be done slowly over time and moved to a sub-forum of this forum.

However it should be possible for people to suggest corrections if required.

Bad posts and duplos are to be avoided by forced education as mentioned in my earlier post. People who post because they say have no time are the worst ones (Argument: I did not search because I had no time) because they simply assume that others have ample free time to read their useless posts. We have great people at IGT who try their every bit to help out beginners out of no personal interest. People let's respect their efforts. A bad post or a duplo without research is seen by me as an insult to all IGTians who have made IGT what it is today.

Lets also make it that incorrectly placed posts will promtly be tagged as a BAD post suggesting it to be moved to the approriate forum.

So mods, what can we do?

12. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

iprakash,

IGT is more than just mere collection of tabs. Everyone is allowed to post their version of chords and tabs for a song, no matter its already posted before.

People who already have good participation in IGT understand that re-post is not useful and for people who are new, we should give them little time to get used to IGT.

We already have "Negative Reps" policy and if you as sincere IGTian feel that someone is really mucking around with posts then either report it to Mods or -ve reps them.

Moderating every post at first place is not feasible and it will only end up frustrating you guys.

We should be little relax and flexible in order to increase people participation in IGT. Good posters will certainly find rewards and bad posters automatically get eliminated in the long journey.

And believe me, you dont have to be a Mod to give advice to newbies to help them understand how they should post and what should they expect in return.

13. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

Moving it to feedback forum.

It may be good if at the time of submission of new thread, search can be performed automatically using title and if relevant existing threads are found then present them to the thread creator with the list and preview.

This may atleast give poster a chance to use his/her common sense to either augment the existing threads or start a brand new one.

This will surely bring down the count of re-posts as new threads and dup-requests.

14. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

Amit I understand the concerns but seriously people here need a lot of education. We need to control the newbies. Newbies should only be allowed to start threads in 1 or 2 forums (posting in existing threads is allowed) and only when they graduate in terms of their being comforatble with IGT (lets say 200 posts or so and having read thread A-G) they should be opened to the regular forums.

For duplos, can we have some grouping funda as gmail does for related mails. This atleast eases the pain. Just as one can provide reps, etc, one should be able to mark a post as duplicate. Only people with 1000 posts (or on special request - based on user posting history) or more should be able to do this.

Something should be done for educating people. I may help by documenting a lot of stuff on IGT. A document which gets mailed automatically when someone registers. You mods can review it.

15. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

Howmany will read the document?
    Instead the search page can be made default page, for every newbie after registration.
    And some tempting words on the page like 'check out the chords given by music directors, use the search...'
    To come out of the page, he should be given an link displaying "No, I don't want to search" or some kind.

It's very difficult to educate every n00b.. but when they are regular they get themselves right.

16. iprakash

iprakash Proud IGTian

That's a very good suggestion. Restricted access till a certain number of posts. Let them be regular and understand first. I have recently been very persistent in posting in threads which are improperly classified or contain stuff lifted from other threads. The more we do this we can get the right thing the n00bs heads soon.

17. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

restricted access for what? To start posting?

If yes, then how can they qualify themselves for posting? I mean, they can never start posting at all.

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:RollLol:
    You just pwned the point.

19. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

I THINK HE IS TALKING ABOUT ENTERING A FORUM. It' like "You are allowd to enter Hindi tabs forum if you have 15+ posts"..

This is not a good Idea at all!! Coz, it will increse spaming + It will increase no. of useless members + The main aim of IGT which is to "serve each and every guitarist who is searching for Indian Tabs" will be broken...

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Stop being a Communist autocrat.
    It doesnt work that way.

Anyway what is wrong with current situation?

n00b logs in, posts a query, gets some answers, feels happy.
    What more do you want?

Or you want that a n00b logs in, sees he cannot post anything, loses interest, uses google (which he/she should have at first instance :p: ), never coems back ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.