a comprehensive guide to changing pickup .. with pics

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by shak, Oct 20, 2005.

1. thepacifist2013

thepacifist2013 V.I.P Member

Even I can;t see the pics, but have a few questions?
    a) Whaen you say your luthier did a clear base coat and then "colored the lacquer", are you sure it was clear (unstained) lacquer base coat or was it just a sealer?
    b) "chip off the finish"? I hope you mean he sanded it right down to the clear-coat/sealer, and refinish it.

Why Gibson doesn't do it?? Hehehe, it's nice to see people having the balls to ask such question.

However, to answer you, why Gibson (and any other flame-top guitar making company) does not and will not do it is because the technique that you suggest doesn't make the maple top "pop". When you look at Flame top Gibsons, flame top R9s etc, do you notice the "depth" of the maple flame top? It almost gives it a 3-d look. The technique used to obtain is to stain the wood at the time of base sealing itself. Then a coat of stain and sand. Coat of stain....sand. Thats how the maple top "pops".

The way you describe your guitar color, it seems you got a pigment-painted guitar instead of a stained guitar. In the stained guitar, (when a stain is used along with the lacquer), the grain of the wood is visible. All bursts are examples of that. Pigment based lacquers make the guitar opaque (red, blue etc). The original poster referes to his guitar's color, and not the burst, which is reason enough to believe that the top of his guitar and Gibson guitars are different, and hence the same technique cannot be employed.

The OP is probably not a visitor to this forum anymore. I just laid this down for anyone wanting to learn more about the technques of luthiere, and how the flame tops are done. What I've posted above is by no means complete, it's just a part of the whole process.

2. flood

flood New Member

this is quite possibly the worst guide to changing pickups that i've ever seen, bar none. ridiculous that it got sticky status; quality control here is non-existent, to say the least.

3. theghost

theghost New Member

i wonder who r the mods and how they were selected :)

4. flood

flood New Member

an admin named lord_neo stickied this thread AND gave him rep points. see the post directly after the "guide". i'm officially giving him the fludkat prize for stupidest man alive.

thread with pics my ass. love to see the dumb****s fawning over this thread like melvyn hiscock is doing a video tutorial or something. i'll be amazed if the OP can tell a pickup from his own chocolate starfish.

5. navinadv

navinadv New Member

I too could not see the pictures but never mind...I assume someone will fix that.

I used to play guitar about 2 decades ago and during that time I modified my share of guitars. What I found was that there were many out there that were buying some really nice pickups from places like Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Lace, EMG, etc...and sticking them into really ordinary guitars and getting disappointed. Guys keep in mind that the sound of the guitar is dependant on the body (style, wood, weight, etc..).

6. shiv.emf

shiv.emf New Member

well.. no pics ! many have already asked to fix it..

7. Speedysaand

Speedysaand New Member

is it just me or the pics are not present? coz i dont see any attachments or links :\