A beginning

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Margaret, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Margaret

Margaret New Member

I have decided.. to learn the guitar, I am yet to buy one. I love to sing. Can any one suggest where to buy one in Mumbai, and what would be best for a beginner. And where can I learn ???
    And also I would like to know how to listen to the clips uploaded be fellow members. Every time I click on the links i get a message for registration etc etc.

2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Where do u live in mubai? I would suggest go to Bhargavas in Bandra. Alos Furtados near Metro is good. If Ur near Malad then go to Albertos.. Take some one with u who knows to play a guitar. dont go for looks of the guitar as a good looking guitar may not be all that good.. See how the guitar feels in your hands . You should feel comfortable with it. Also cheak the action.. the strings should not be to high above the fret board ( the are wher u would place your fingers) nor tooo low.... make sure the neck feels good in your hands.... The Signature Brand of guitars are nice .Also one piece of advice ( this is my opionon) dont go in for very cheap guitar thinkin that you are just learning, belive me a guitar that does not feel good play good and sound good will totaly turn you off and will be more diff to learn on.

3. Margaret

Margaret New Member

Thanks

Where exactly are they located, do you have the addresses ?
    This Alos Furtados, which you wrote is near Metro, where exactly is this Metro ?

4. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

opps sorry I meant "FURTADOS" spelling mistake there. Where are u located? you are new in Mumbai right?

5. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

lot of people complain against signatures,and hobners
    go in for a Givson>wtvr u feel good wid

6. Margaret

Margaret New Member

Somewhere between Dadar and Mumbai Central. So it would help if you could suggest - guitar shops in and around this area, and also any one who is giving guitar lessons, singing (definitely not indian classical) around here.

7. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Well then I would suggest going to Furtados u can get of at Marine Lines Station and take a taxi, I actually prefer to walk it up. You can also go to Bandra and visit Bhargavas Its near National college or rather the lane adjusent to the SHELL petrol Pump. Good Luck. There is also a Music Shop near the Dadar Station on the west. But you may not get a huge Choice out there for Guitars, though my Granddad used to always take his Violen out there.

8. vishalj

vishalj Banned

Byculla/Mazgaon? You don't have to answer that.

I personally prefer Bhargavas which is opposite Furtados at Metro. At Bhargavas they won't make you wait and are quite nice. Furtados might have a bigger collection but man the people over there need to be kicked. The guy at Bhargav's also teaches, around 250 an hour.. just ask him.

Check out Hobners (better than Givson's in my opinion). What is you're budget like?

9. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I have to agree with you on this. I have not been to the Bhargavas at Metro but at the shop at Bandra. I must say that even though Furatdos has a larger collection. i would prefer Bhargavas. I must say that whenever i went to Bhargavas, The owner ( at least I presume he is the owner). had an ans to all my questions like what wood is in the guitar ext. The sales men at FFurtados dont seem to know much, ok you can say the same in Bhargavas too, but the owner is very friendly and will come to your assistance immeditly.