50 Greatest Stompboxes Of All Time

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by alpha1, Apr 18, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Quote "If you want proof that guitarists gleefully cling to the past, just look at their feet. Most likely, their boots are hovering near a bunch of metal boxes that were conceived back in the ’60s and ’70s. The truly addicted collect masses of these things and Velcro them on pedalboards—often employing arcane and complicated routing systems to switch between a series of old-school tonal colors. And even though digital technology has made it possible to inject these classic sounds into sleek, programmable designs, most guitarists still get a little weak in the knees upon discovering a new analog stompbox.

The simple, visceral design of most stompboxes is actually the salvation of the species, as it’s easy and fun to create sonic carnage by mixing and matching pedals. Beginning with the introduction of the Maestro Fuzz-Tone in 1963, the pedal population has grown exponentially to the point where vintage models now commonly share board space with classic reissues, modern boutique units, and mass-produced newbies.

The GP staff decided to pay homage to these bottom-feeding beasts by detailing 50 revolutionary models. Each pedal has either defined a certain tone, pushed the sonic envelope of its time, been adopted by legendary players, and/or graced essential songs and albums. This was far from a simple task. We’re also aware that extraodinary new boutique pedals are produced in garages all over the place—and that an exuberant community endorses each little-known wonderbox—but we focused this list on pedals that have been heard ’round the world.

So spin through this collection of classic blasters and modern masters, and bask in the simple pleasures of these powerful tone machines. We’ll await your letters and e-mails trashing us for not mentioning one of your fave stompboxes. But, hey, arguing over every minute shade of sound is part of the joy of being guitar players. Have fun!"

https://www.musicplayer.com/lounge/reviews/coolstompbox.htm

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

So no one knows about 'em.
    Eh?

I though ppl will say that these suckers havent included xxx pedal etc.

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Suckers haven't included my Steel Drive.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Which steel drive?

The one that you were making?

5. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Stomp Boxes I love them. Digital procesing is good, but provided you have A GREAT DIGITAL PROCCESOR, not some cheap ones. But honestly I prefer stomp boxes. Agiain even after having the tones stored in a memory chip in digital processors they cant sound like a True Stomp box tone.

6. ronnieanand

Yes, the one I made. Last night I wanted to make it, so that you can get to look at it when you are here the coming weekend.

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Great read! Lol, i can sense a build up of GAS.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ofcourse, needless to mention. :)

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well not even great digital processors can match the pedals or amps.
    But one thing is there: a digital emulation (processor) sounds much closer to an amp than an analog pedal does.

But I would look into feel, response and dynamics aspect as well, where the processors fail.

10. ronnieanand

I will be busy on Saturday. We can catch up on Sunday. Actually Silk Route is coming to Bangalore on Saturday and I will be hanging around with those guys the whole day.

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

K.
    Then I will catch ya on sundae.

12. ronnieanand

Saturday, you can get tulli with your Koramangala friends and Sunday I will :aggre: :aggre: :aggre:

13. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

i had a poll earlier
    and people preferd the digitech Hot head
    to the Boss Ds-1

Now i'm terribly confused!!!!

14. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I would like to ans that Q. I was one of those who voted for the digitech. Ok the Boss DS-1 is a classic versatile distortion pedal and you cant go wrong with it in my opinon, infact I like it a lot. But the digitech Hot head allows more tonal shaping, because of the high and low controls where as the Boss has just single tone control. Its your call, I suggest cheaking out both pedals as they are available out here.
    The list of Stomp boxes whihc Alpha1 has posted are the classic stomp boxes prefered over decades, which have given rise to similar stomp boxes, or better quality modded out stomp boxes. Its like most electric guitars you see today are based on the Simple Strat and tele design that Leo Fender designed or a Les Paul that Les Paul designed also THE Flying V and Explorer. After years and decades still those thre designs are classic and work realy well and have inspired countless of other guitar designs, many of whihc are improvments on the original. Same goes for these stomp bos\xes they are classic and have inspired many other pedals many of them improvments on the original.