5 string vs 4 string bass...

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Sumanovo razor, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

can i beginner handle a 5 string bass.if no why..or he should start with a 4 string bass...

2. wylder

wylder Member

I started on a 5 stringer... No problems at all learning on it.

But if you slap/pop a lot, you will have better accuracy on 4-string. Then again, that is something more practice can fix.
    Only case that I can see it being a real issue is if you have big hands and you are trying to do the Victor Wooten up and down thumb picking arpeggio thing. That needs a good amount of string spacing to do right.

3. Sumanovo razor

and what are the benefits of a 5 string bass over a 4 string ...how it is tuned...i know 4 string has got GDAE... Standard Tuning but 5 string maybe BGDAE ...m not sure...

4. wylder

wylder Member

Dude.. Just answered that in an another thread - by you!!

5. Sumanovo razor

okay...sorry...and pros of 5 string...

6. Sumanovo razor

am planning to buy a bass...not now but within a few months...bass are really cool ...maybe coz of their long necks...and yeah that bass'y feeling is amazing...am really inspired by robert trujillo...a few months back metallica performed in bangalore

7. wylder

wylder Member

5 string = extended range.

Larger arpeggio options over a chord within a narrow part of the neck. Eg: if you play a maj/minor arp over 2 octaves, on a 4 stringer, you will run out of room for the second octave or 7th unless you move your whole hand up the neck (which would slow you down considerably).

Longer scale runs if you shred. Eg: Dream Theater's Overture 1928 intro run on a 4 stringer would be a nightmare

For outright metal players, bassists hate it when the guitarists drop D and start playing completely on the bassist's band spectrum. So we bassists can conveniently go a little lower and conveniently keep the bottom end to ourselves. If everybody starts playing in the same narrow band of the eq, the sound will be very muddy and the instruments will be unrecognizable.

8. fena

fena New Member

as stated before.. no reason why you couldn't . but here are a few things to remember
    1) If you are gonna start learning from some text based tutorials and videos, then most of them are designed for 4 strings
    2) The wider neck of a 5'er can be a problem at the beginning, but practice will fix that.
    3) standard tuning for 4 string is EADG and 5'er is BEADG :)
    What kind if music are you playing anyway??