35 Ragas: A Sampling Of North & South Indian Scales & Modes

Discussion in 'Carnatic Music of South India' started by MuktiMusic, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

MM you may try referring to the books I've mentioned here:
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showpost.php?p=65695&postcount=8
    they r considered good references by most people who teach carnatic music. They don't contain lessons, but have the swaras (with ragam/taalam) for allt he krithis composed by the associated composer.

On a lighter note, what is the difference between harini and rajnikanth?
    rajnikanth says "naa eppo varuven eppidi varuven'nu yaarukkum theriyaadhu. aana vara vendiya nerathula kandippa varuven" and harini says "na eppo poven eppidi poven'nu yaarukkum theriyadhu, aana pogavendiya nerathula kandippa poiduven!" :)

no offense harini, but when u were learning, didn't u ever have questions for ur guru? didn't u ever have differences and sort them out by discussion? I think the best way to learn is by challenging and asking questions. thats no reason for a teacher to get offended.

2. MuktiMusic

MuktiMusic New Member

Bedside Manner Is An Important Part Of The Cure...

30 days is a short tenure for teaching. I find that presentation is as important as the material. I did not get from you that 'its been a pleasure working here with you (a)ll' from this thread. Having said that I would encourage you to stay. You appear to have a lot to offer. Personally though I didn't care for the tone of 'dude' or 'all messed up'. That was a turn off. That's all.

Music is very important to me. But how I treat people, how I talk to them, teach them, serve them, is more important.

Peace

MM :think:

ananth222 likes this.
  3. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

harini, i am sorry for all the grief caused during the susheela raman thread. I think u carried over that mood over. i apologize for that. In the end you should hang around in places you are comfortable . People on IGT are very open and are just knowledge hungry,and also agnostic to the source of information. I am sure I am not alone in saying that your posts were very valuable, and I liked the kutcheri review you wrote. So I apologize once again, and u r more than welcome to stay and post, if your are comfortable with that.

J

4. varmas11

varmas11 New Member

jesus, so much tension
    where is the love?

cause that's 'all you need' [lennon]

saurabh

5. itwasnoteasy

itwasnoteasy E chord humka dede Thakur

This thing should have continued I read each and every word on this thread and I believe its just the nature of people, i wont say people here all were musicians so some musicians are very strict and some are polite but all of them are good when it comes to their art. so here we needed some kind of understanding and talk and come to conclusion may be. again I wish I'd read this before i guess I am soooooo very late. lots of gurus around me . did i miss them?

6. Bboy

Bboy New Member

hey thanks mukti just what i was looking for

7. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I'm sure this happened long ago, but still...what an uptight know it all this woman is!!! I think the real reason she came here was that she has a chip on her shoulders and a point to prove, and she wanted to show off her knowledge. God save guitarists interested in learning indian ragas from purist pricks like this! Utterly useless, downgrading, critical, snooty and unconstructive, perhaps reflective of the reason why our classical music is not so much doing well anymore.

8. AnyColorYouLike

AnyColorYouLike New Member

Hi I have a question, I'm new to indian music but I love to improvise. Could somebody explain what is the ahmsa. I googled it but i didn<t found any interesting info.

Thanks

Oups three years old thread...!!

9. lodhra

lodhra New Member

Hello

Such a fantastic information complied with good pointers for interest seekers. I would like to add something to the time of Raga

The orgin of sound was first studied and put forth by Panini of Ashtaadhyaayi the one credited with sanskrit

here the phoenetics are divided as kanth, aushta [ in brief meaning emanating from throat mouth nose belly etc]

This when uttered in a particular sequence form the nada which cause vibrations. hence mantras used to be chanted in particular way

The theory of Vedas goes through the trinity of Vata, Pitta and Kapha the three forces that are responsible for manifestation and stability and destruction of all entities

As these humors control the macrocosm so do they the micro

These humors can be influenced by vibrations and hence havan and Homs used to be done on a large scale

These humors have specific time as per the HUMAN BODY with respect to praharas and hence the ragas were divided as per

This is just a small intro i am giving

I am an Ayurveda physician and i work for propogation of vedic studies and its theories with main emphasis on ayurveda.

Music therapy forms a part of my discourses and though i am a very very okay musician in performance [which i had to learn for demonstration] i am very happy i can contribute a bit to this threads of maestroes

Regards

10. vj_ali

vj_ali New Member

hi boss i am new on raags . i just want to know 1 thing that u mentioned above
    Chalanata.............night......................1 b3 3 4 5 b7 7 1-1 7 b7 5 4 3 b3 1...3rd

Madhyamavati.....noon........................1 2 4 5 b7 1-1 b7 5 4 2 1.............2nd/4th
    tell me that what is b3 after 1 and in the last is it string number 3rd and 2nd/4th?

11. stormr

stormr New Member

b3, b7 etc are flat 3rd, flat 7th etc. On a guitar (or other western instrument), the notes of the Major scale are taken as 1234567 and then again 1 (the octave). Notes that are not in the major scale but can be played on the instrument are named by the nearest highest tone. For example b3 lies below 3 (and above 2). If you take 1 as C, and make the C Major scale, the notes will simply be CDEFGABC. C is 1, D is 2 etc. 7 here is B, for instance, so b7 would be B flat (A#). On a guitar, it would be one fret below B (towards the nut from B, on the same string).

The 'ahmsa' seems to be what is usually called 'Samvadi' in Hindustani music. It's the defining note of a raga, which is used as a sort of base from which you improvise and keep returning to it.
    The 2/4 in Raga Madhyamavati, maybe both the 2 and 4 can be used as Samvaadis. Not sure.

This is a beaut thread, just what I was looking for (minus the argument. Harini seemed to have a superior attitude all those years ago, hope she's mellower now.) Good to see classical music being discussed online since all these years.