2nd hand ibz help

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by petermasc, Nov 15, 2006.

1. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

sorry to double post: What exactly are you changing when u get the 370DX because the following parts HAVE to be changed when u get it
    1.Potentiometers - TONE AND VOLUME.....please change it otherwise your volume goes wild. Get CTS audio taper pots from abroad ..dont go for any Indian pots.. u can get the CTS audio tapers for about 2-7$ from www.guitarpartsresource.com

2.The coil pickup and the bridge pickup - the coil is horrible but the bridge is acceptable being a stock pickup. The neck one is pretty good. If u do change it ...an EMG80active would be good or a SeymourDuncan JB. And as for the coil u can either drop the idea and buy a HH Ibanez pickguard for about 12$ or get some duncan stacked coil.

3.Throw out all the stock Allen Screws on the floyd and the nut saddle(near the neck) because they are some cheap stuff that have been painted. If ur in Bangalore you can go to Asian screw shop and buy the ones that are melted with the black colour cus then they are much more durable and they dont loose paint. Each screw should cost u around 10-20rupees.

4.This is not totally necessary but it would be a really good idea if u shielded the whole body cavity with copper foil : 50rupees. Helps remove all that excess humming and buzzing.

5.And if you play on stage a lot get a good pair of Dunlop strap locks...because the ones that come are good..but ive had experiences where the strap just slipped off.

6.And when ur playing n e where always keep a set of allen keys in ur pocket...this is what i read for all floyd rose-like tremolo guitar users. And it helps cus if by accident ur guitar goes a whole note or step down ...fine tuning wont help and u need to remove the locking nut...

These are just the precautions which im going to do for my next guitar after experiencing it with my Ibanez.....

Good Luck,
    Shreyas

2. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

About a few months back, I had come in contact with a mad malayali (sorry, I'm not being regionalist, just that it sounds whack, like mad max), who had just learnt to play the chords. He asked me for help to buy a 370DX, and a Roland amp and a pedal. I met him in person, and my opinion is he is nuts. Within 5 days of buying the 370DX, he wanted to sell it, 1st because it was too heavy, 2nd because it was too shrill. Real funny character, forgot his name very fast.

Is this the guy who is selling you the guitar? He was working with a granite firm or something. if he is, you can pick that guitar up, there's nothing wrong with the guitar, its only him.

3. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

meh. Dias replied once stating that he would get back to me. Didn't reply to any of my follow-ups. I guess either my budget was too for him, or he won't talk to you unless you live in Mumbai. If you do, then you can probably go to him and speak to him in person.

5. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

@laney.......Yes I do feel for u but the sheer volume of u posting the same thing everywhere u go gives me a migrane(I know u care a ratsass for how i feel).
    And yes I too would suggest U to go and strangulate that Venky for making u buy a rotten Mango from the lot.And Sorry if I made u feel I didnt like u.

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

its not your fault...its just that not having a guitar is driving me nuts....coming to these forums satisfies that 1% of love i have for playing my guitar............IM SO F***ing LOST!!!

7. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I belive you 100% on that. Dias is like that slightly laid back. You need to convinvce him you mena buissness. He gets lots of people coming to him talking abouth making a guitar, with only a few going into make one, wasting a lot of time. So if you push him he is convinced.
    Dias has worked on my Vintage accoustic a few times and has done EXCELLENT work on it. He has repaired a crack on the sound board and cured a very bad warp beautifully. He has also worked on my electric...
    He does seem he does not care when you go meet him the firt time, but once you show how intrested you are.. he is a BREEZZ and friendly

8. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^^Not having a guitar ???

What happened ?

9. petermasc

petermasc New Member

thanks a million guys.after reading the posts i found myself leaning more towards an albertos custom i was thinking of the following combination.any help,quotation/estimates,suggestions,inputs will be appreciated in order to refine this list

1)body adler/mahogny(style based on either esp axxion/jackson rr1/bc rich mocking bird)
    2)neck maple ;unfinished 24 fret (based on ibz prestige/jackson soloist )
    3)fingerboard rosewood w/sharkfin inlays
    4)bridge -original floyd rose/kalher 2300/schaller
    5)pups-bridge seymour duncan SH-4 jb model .neck-SH-10 full shred/
    SH-2 jazz model/dimarzio air norton.no neck pup.
    6)gotoh/schaller non locking tuners
    7)controls -1 vol w/push- pull for coil tap. 1 tone .toggle switch for pickup selector
    8)dunlop strap locks

add notes
    neck:neck-tru construction
    neck- body should have all acess neck joint

i might be able to cough up 30k what do u guys think?

10. petermasc

petermasc New Member

laney i still think u should go and kick venkys balls till they come out from his ears.then fire the shit out of him...no wait fire him first then kick his balls .if u kick him first he will not be able to hear u as his ears will be plugged.lol.

sanjiv:the guys name is preetam

11. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

nah not yet. Because ibanez might do something about my guitar. We'll see after a few days. oh and petermasc id love to help you out on ur custom guitar. I could help designing for you if u want. Just tell me which shape and ill show you some samples. If u have MSN messanger add me
    shreyas.skandan@gmail.com

12. petermasc

petermasc New Member

i got 3 basic shapes in mind
    1)rhoads v
    2)esp axxion
    3)bc rich mockingbird

because of these unusual body shapes i will have to get a custom case made .since i travel to gigs/jams by bike the guitar should be able to blance itself on the seat while being stapped to my back,it should not tip over to the left or right,if it does i might crash.

to what company can u compare his workmanship to is: it better than......... say the korean made kramers/ibanez etc.how does it compare with usa made jacksons?/japanese prestige series guitars?

hey laney i do not chat.but i am on orkut ; scrap and get scraped everyday,u on orkut?

13. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

nah no orkut...i chose myspace :p Well AXXION body is kickass!!! dont forget to put a ESP decal on it if u get it LOL www.best-decal.com

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Rhoads V is not symmetric, it wont balance on its own on the seat.

A normal Flying V will defeinitly balance itself on a seat, though.

15. petermasc

petermasc New Member

does anybody own ne of his guitars ?
    i had messaged shredder and abhijinath they have not replied.either both are dead or banned!
    i need some info about his craftmanship,to what company can u compare his stuff to ?usa or korean or japanese ibanez/jacksons/other company

16. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Dude theres no particular company his stuff can be compared to !.As in hes a human being and has some guys working under him and not machines worth millions that a particular standard can be maintained.Yes his workmanship is quite good and his necks and bodies are phenomenal but his fretwork seems to be a lil OK OK,which has improved a lot over the years. Comparing tulsi or for that matter any custom guitar maker to any company would be like comparing Orange County Choppers to Yamaha, Honda, Ducati ....

17. petermasc

petermasc New Member

ok i get the point.u are right, cannot compare handmade to cnc stuff.
    are they atleast better than korean stuff?

18. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Yes Mucccccccchhhhho Bettttreeeee !!!

19. petermasc

petermasc New Member

i have asked him for a quotation ,l will wait and see if he replies

20. petermasc

petermasc New Member

so far no reply.
    what u think i should do.tell the guy i am not interested in the ibz or check both albertos and the ibanez?are his guitars better in quality than the ibanez 370 dx.does he make the necks to desired specs or does he use necks of his own design?