12 string or a 6 string

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Harsh Kumar, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

So after a long time i am back in control of my studies and time.
    i have succesfully sold my old guitars now...

i wanna buy a 12 string guitar, so i wanna know a few things

1. Can everything that can be played on a 6 string be played on a 12string with that much ease.

2. Is there any difference in technique of playing 12s and 6st

3. is it cool to have an electric and a 12 str only and not have a 6 str.

4. Which 12str should i buy. i have a budget of 7500rs.

2. Harsh Kumar

my 150th Post dudes.

3. Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo The Boy Genius!

Dude it is not advisable to have only 12 string guitar. It is not THAT easy to play a 12 string. You need a little control on ur picking if u plan to play leads on it. It is most suitable for strumming. I suggest u get a 6 string. Its a wayy better option. Get a 12 string only if u need one, not to nail chicks (Trust me, most of em wont even notice extra strings!).
    If u need a 12 string, then look for one with a rosewood back, while a spruce top, best combination. Overall, make sure it doesnt sound too trebly, or bright. Should be balanced tone. Play it, and listen carefully for buzzes. Make sure its neck is absolutely stright, no relief or humps, as there are two different thickness strings together on alomst the same spot. Rest u'll know when u try one out. Rock on.

taxyse likes this.
  4. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

Agree with Johny man i dont think u shud buy a 12 string so early.

5. Harsh Kumar

i thing is still not clear, is it way to tough to play it, what is the difference in technique and difference in cost

6. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

12 string?? I think you can not play the leads with a 12 string. You shud buy a 6 string first...

7. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

It is not advisable to buy a 12-string for regular play / practice. However a 12-string really shines on recordings...gives that brilliant rich tone. If you need to record professionally, a 12-string is extremely useful for adding versatility to your songs.

8. Harsh Kumar

what abt the pricings, u know i am only a son a billionare, so money is also a factor for me,

i like the sound of a 12 string a lot more, and i do like to record a lot of stuff too, but i would also like to play it regularly, as bill gates just bought my old *** string guitar, now i only have an electric G and 8000 bucks. so should i buy both a 6str and 12str or only 6str or only 12str.

:cool:

9. prit_undead

prit_undead New Member

save some more money and go for a double neck maybe
    that way u get both the sound as well as the chicks

taxyse likes this.
  10. Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo The Boy Genius!

^^ Genius!!!! Nice one bro! :RollLol: Not a bad suggestion at all! Well, dude for 8000, i dont think u can get even a decent 6 string, forget 12 string or a doolin. I'd say, go for a 6 string, and stick to it. Otherwise, save a little more, and get a custom doolin. Peace.

11. apray

apray New Member

I guess 12 string guitars are very useful if u'r going to play backing chords - especially for ghazal / light music (u'll usually find a 12 string being played in jagjit singh concerts). otherwise, for leads, 6-string is better. another added headache with 12 string is tuning - not only is it more time-consuming but also even a slight deviation on the double strings gets noticed very prominently.

12. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

:shock:
    Who said that? :shock:

13. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Pluto accoustic Rs 2700/- ...... A good 6 string for under 3K.

14. Harsh Kumar

a twin neck is not a bad Idea, but is it as versatile as a 6 string or is that also difficult to play.
    and why dont you guys tell me the prices, it wouldnt look nice if i go to the store with enough money to buy the whole store and then end up buying only 1 guitar.
    so prices plz, and any recommendations which twin neck i should buy.

Help me out ppl.

15. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

WTF??

Get a fucking nice looking bike and hit on chicks.
    Why do you want to buy a guitar?
    You can hire a freaking world class band to play in your backyard.

16. fat_kax

fat_kax Kickin Ass Since 1989 !

abe mofo - stop buying up the worlds stock of guitars and try learnin to play the "A" chord./// lmbfaorotf

17. rohit

rohit New Member

AGREED .12 STRING !!!!!! DOUBLE NECK!!!
    HARSH STOP USING YOUR HUMOUR!!!!!!!!
    TO GIVE YOU A SUGGESTION- BUY A 6 STRING YAMAHA F310 WITH EQUALIZER.

18. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Lucky Ba$$t@|) ....lol i wud have bot all the Jems,Js's,RR's,KV's etc etc whu look at sucky 12 strings when u can get the B33333333st of the 6 string worlds........:S

19. Harsh Kumar

OK OK nice suggestions, BTW i have a Thinderbird (Royal Enfield) bike which is sufficient to get me enough chicks.

I need now is a good guitar, and i think a twin neck 12+6string G would be fine, what say??

20. Harsh Kumar

i need to do stuff tats out of the box, so plz suggest something new and cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.