couple of points(if you want to do it without tabs, if you have the tabs start from point 3):
1. best way to start towards figuring the chords is to try to get the main tune of the song on a single string or 2.
2. make sure the pitch is correct (doesnt matter much but you might end up getting the chords in a different key than the original)
3. points 1 and 2 should help figure what key the song is in.
4. check out the chords in the key you have arrived at.
5. match the accented notes and see what chords they are. the accented notes MOST LIKELY are the chords to fall upon, but not always true.
6. since you have narrowed down on the possible chords in point 4, trial and error should help figure the rest of the chords.
7. if you can sing the song along in the correct pitch, it will become easier to figure the right chords.
Started a Blog to share my experience and the highs and lows of my guitar learning journey ... Its purpose would be solved if anything here can help you guys in learning to play the guitar ...