Just wanted to start a thread for everyone who wants to share, give tips, info, etc. to all IGT-ians about the recordings we are making and finally posting overhere.
I've noticed, the majority here are making lots of recordings and they don't care about the quality of the sound they make, its a pity guys, cause making some good music starts by making a good recording, so i think you guys should be satisfied and convinced about the recordings you made!
I've heard alot of good guitaring and vocals aswell, but mostly the recordings are very lousy, as it could be improved alot and i think you will be more proud of your own recordings and compositions when the sound is better. I don't want to say that my recordings are very well, but i certainly try to take good care of the music i compose and a good final product as i thought you guys should do the same!
So here are my tips:
1. Try to make your recordings using your computer, for this purpose you will need some (good) software, i think Audacity is a good choice. I use Cubase SX 3 and Adobe Audition( and lots of VST-Plugins), for those who wants to work with these progs, just search the many torrentsites!!! If you want to make "professional" stuff and you can allow yourself a good Pc with a good soundcard with low latency( i own the M-Audio Delta 1010LT, but the M-Audio Delta Audiophile is a very good alternative), that would be a improvement for your recordings!
2. Its necessary to make the recordings on different tracks, just to be able to mix the (many) tracks the proper way.
3. When this is happened, try to clean up the tracks as good as possible, i mean, it has to be noise free, no clipping etc. Adobe Audtion has a good filter inbuilt, the noise reduction, and lots of other filters and effects for your instruments and vocals.
4. After recording the instruments, the vocals has to be recorded and after that it also has to be cleaned up!
5. Now you have to put some effects on the tracks, just to pump up the sounds, therefor Adobe Audition has some good effects inbuilt as you could download some more effects from the internet! These effects are known as VST-plugins!
6. After doing this all you now have to mix the (many) tracks the proper way, have in mind that the final product has to be sound as good as possible, but ofcourse, obviously this is (in any case, should be)our target!!!!!
7. The last point is, export this whole project as an wav-file and for more impovement this final wav-file has be mastered for getting the best quality, therefor you can use Adobe Audtion, to do such you'll need some good mastering effects
So guys, this is the way i work on my composition, i hope you guys can use this information for yourself and maybe you guys can add more tips and informations!