I'm going in for a complete electric set-up and I need some help. I've read most of the posts here on the gear forum still I'm not clear about certain points. Please help me out.
Here are the relevant details:
I've been playing the acoustic guitar for the past *8 months*. I am committed to it.
I would like to play Metallica, Iron Maiden, SOAD, GnR, Nirvana etc. I'd like an allrounder kinda guitar :d (I don't think that exists..)
My budget for the
guitar is $400;
processor is $300;
amplifier is $200.
I can manage to get the gear from abroad(except the amp.)
*I cannot absolutely exceed the above quoted budget*
1) Which is better: Individual Pedals or Pedal Processor? I understand that most of you guys recommend Individual pedals because of their superior sound. But, considering that I am a complete newbie to electric guitar(and probably not trying to achieve *that* particular sound right now anyway) .. what would you recommend?
2) If I do go for a Pedal processor, I have to choose out of Digitech GNX 3, Zoom G7.1ut and Korg AX3000G.(GT-6,8, GNX4 etc. are out coz of the prices) Which is the best out of the three? I've read from reviews etc. that GNX sucks at usability(but that's ok with me.. I'm a complete believer in RTFM) and Zoom G7.1ut has a pathetic wah. Any other suggestions? Is the Boss GT6 worth it to put in an extra $100(it's priced at $400 at MusiciansFriend.com) or GNX 3 is better than it? LEFTY_GUITARIST, any ideas how is AX3000G compared to GNX 3?
3) I've decided on an Ibanez RG 370DX (because I've read that Ibanez guitars are pretty all rounder guitars). My friends own Slammer and Aria guitars and they make statements like "Ibanez sucks.." etc. So, where does an Ibanez RG 370DX stand in front of slammer and aria guitars? How good is an Ibanez at playing stuff like Slash(GnR)? Any other guitar suggestions(within the budget) are definitely welcome. Chintan, deathdr (you guys own RG 370Dx..) please reply to this. Any idea when the 2006 series is out?
4) I am completely clueless about the amplifier because I will be getting it from India itself. Marshall, Stranger etc are the options(ronnie says that stranger sucks) What is the best available under Rs. 10k?
5) Is it OK if I go for a second-hand pedal processor/stomp boxes? What are the particular things to look out for in a second hand pedal processor? Same question with the amp?
6) Which is a better buying option: buying in the US or in Dubai/Singapore?
7) This may sound dumb but I'm pretty uncertain here..and I think this shouldve been the first question. Actually, all of this Ibanez Ibanez Ibanez everywhere has confused me a bit about the guitar I want: What kinda guitars do you associate with guys like (a) Jimmy Page, (b) Don Felder, Eagles (the electric part) (c) Joe Satriani (d) Van Halen (e) Slash (GnR) (f) Red Hot Chilli (g) Nirvana (h) Pink Floyd.. as in Fender/Les Paul/Ibanez type sound
Please, this is the most important question
Sorry for asking so many questions but I really want to make a right decision about the gear that I buy because I'm spending a LOT.
I hope you guys help me out with my queries. Thanks in advance.