I'm finally close enough, in all aspects, in buying an electric. This'll be my first, and I want it to fricking last atleast 5 years (or so). The rundown -
1. What do I play - Classical, and interested in playing Opeth, Joe Satriani, Kamelot, old rock/blues rock and jazz. Yup, all of that. So that'll require...
2. SSH configuration. Edit : Or will HH do the job? Maybe after future pickup replacements? I also have a processor, and plan on getting a better one next.
3. Alder or basswood (no agathis -.-)
4. 22/24 frets, 21 is ew. Bolt-on neck. (too insecure with the other types breaking)
5. No tremolo. Unless it's good, I'd rather use a whammy pedal. Otherwise, string through/tune-o-matic etc.
6. I'm a bit partial to Les Paul designs and quilt/flame/natural finish guitars, as far as looks go. Edit : But it doesn't really matter if I get a good playing+sounding one which is better than the good looking ones.
7. Budget - 25k or under.
Earlier I was fixated on an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (but it skates over a few of my requirements, plus it's not readily available in India - no one sells them, I think). Now I dunno what to buy. I went to the shop today, and the owner recommended
-ESP M 100 (but it's HH, and agathis)
-ESP Viper series (why is nearly every ESP I see made of agathis?)
Also, he advised against Yamaha (Pacifica 112) and Cort when I asked 'bout 'em.
I also tried out the following
-Greg Bennett Torino TR 3/TR
-ESP H 101FM (this is the one, I think)
Also in my mind is the Greg Bennett Avion AV-6...heard a lot about them, good wood too.
I know I'm supposed to play to find out, but I'd like to check out 3-4 instruments of models recommended to me...this is gonna be a big, like megabig, thing...failure is not an option!