I'm just starting out with electric guitar, I have played acoustic for about a year. I'm familiar with basic terminology of the electric, and how it's so different from the acoustic guitar. I won't be buying an amp straight away, will just use the guitar with GarageBand for a while, headphones are more than enough for me (any issues experienced with that?)
Slightly tight budget (8,000 to 10,000 max) and I am looking for a guitar that has good action first (something that doesn't kill the motivation to learn - like I've read about the various Givsons, Plutos and also Squires on this forum), tone and looks are subjective issues anyway.
From what I have read on various sites and on this forum:
1) Ibanez GRG170DX - above my budget anyway, but mixed reviews on this one - some say it's lovely while others are unhappy with its (lack of) stability
2) Washburn X10 - my favourite so far, well rated guitar wherever I've read about it, only problem is it goes out of tune too quickly if whammy-ing (and the sudden uncoloured headstock looks weird on an otherwise good looking piece )
3) Washburn RX10/12 - my superfavourites, but wonder if they are available in India yet, any ideas? What exactly is the new Tune-o-Matic bridge they are touting?
4) Yamaha Pacifica 012 - this one is touted as a great beginners guitar on some forums but I've seen very low ratings on it, everyone seems to favour the higher pacificas 112/120/etc but that adds min. 4,500 to the tag :( Also some reviews frown about the agathis body - what's the deal, avoid agathis as a body material?
5) Cort X2 - ~ 13,000 on bajaoo.com so I may get an acceptable deal somewhere, how is this guitar? I have no reviews on it
6) Washburn Lyon - beginner's guitar at around 6,000, any reviews on this? If this is good I can buy a basic amp too
Howcome I can't find anything about Washburn OX-series?
What other things to keep in mind when moving to electric from acoustic?
To whammy or not to whammy? Which is a better kind of tremolo (I'll avoid floating) and can I add a tremolo later on a guitar that doesn't have it initially?
Thanks for your time guys