I recently came across an old 1998 Model Mexican Fender Standard Stratocaster. I went and checked the guitar myself. I am listing down the condition
1. The bridge looks rusted and may need chrome coating or even replace a new bridge.
2. The body paint is chipped at one place and there are a few scratches on the body.
3. Rosewood Fingerboard looks neat. But few frets were buzzing at around 9 to 12 fret. There is absolutely no warp in the fretboard. My guess is either the frets are worn out or maybe setting up the neck might be of some help.
4. Bridge has a Seymour Duncan hot rails stacked humbucker but sounds horrible either because the pickup is screwed up or it's not wired properly. The neck and middle pickup looks okay but the pole pieces are rusted.
5. Solid tuning keys and stays in tune pretty much even with wild vibrato bar usage. I checked this.
I am considering changing the bridge with original Fender replacement parts and I might change the pick ups to Lace Sensor or Bill Lawrence pickups.
Considering this condition for a 7 or 8 year old Mexican Strat, how much do you think I can pay for it in India. I dont want to ripped off and at the same time, I dont want to rip that guy off too by taking it for too less. I am even doubtful to whether I should buy this or not. I am kind of getting pulled for this because my Big Hero Ritchie Blackmore and my other Heros Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton uses a Fender Strat ofcourse not this model. I am getting kind of blinded by the name irrespective of the condition of the guitar. I dont have dough to buy a good Fender either.
Give me your opinions and suggestions.